Heat leakage from my furnace

Page 1 of 2
I have an unorthox HVAC setup due to living in an old converted loft building. I was doing some maintenance on my Armstrong Ultra SX80 and after turning it back on I noticed that there was heat gushing from a gap in a panel attached to the furnace. I have attached a picture of my setup with some notations of what everything is ... the red X circle indicates where the heat is leaking from (the gap where the AC condensation leak tube comes out). I'm wondering if I can insulate this somehow to keep as much heat feeding to the ducts as possible or if this venting is there for a reason?
http://imgur.com/EUp6YyN
On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 9:44:04 PM UTC-6, Kevin M wrote:

Heating guys use clay/oil-base window glazing for patching that kind of stuff.
On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 20:04:12 -0800 (PST), bob_villain

Most of them actually use a product made for the job, called "duxseal" A pound costs under 4 bucks It works like plasticine.
On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 10:44:04 PM UTC-5, Kevin M wrote:

theres metal real duct tape for sealing ducts....
unlike the junk duct tape that falls off instantly.

You'd have one heck of a time sealing the gap he indicated with ANY kind of tape - the foil tape in particular.
Kevin M wrote:

Is the furnace space heated ? If so , leave it . If not , stuff something in it to block the air .
--
Snag

On 01/06/2016 10:44 PM, Kevin M wrote:

silicon caulk or Duct Seal (Amazon.com product link shortened)
On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 4:54:46 AM UTC-5, ObamaPhone wrote:

Or as others have suggested, a piece of aluminum, metal foil tape. That as well as duct sealant are available at Home Depot, etc.
On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 03:57:21 -0800 (PST), trader_4

It looks to me like the leak needs to be checked at it's source; which is not where the drain pipe is exiting the unit.
On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 8:19:40 AM UTC-6, CRNG wrote:

...he's talking/showing an air leak from the plenum...what are you referring to?
On 01/07/2016 06:57 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Tape looks like crap. Use silicon or Duct Seal. Good grief!
On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 04:54:44 -0500, ObamaPhone

DuxSeal - from any HVAC supplier. (or electrical contractors supply)
On Thursday, January 7, 2016 at 4:10:11 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

gap

tup

es

as

for

...now you're getting redundant with this Duxseal stuff...3 posts! Got any stock? حᇂﮌᇂ)
On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 14:29:49 -0800 (PST), bob_villain

About a pound and a half!!!
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

ROFLMAO
--
Snag

On 1/7/2016 7:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I used to use Diversigum.
I used to use Diversigum.
I used to use Diversigum.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
replying to Kevin M, Kevin M wrote:

building. I

back
the
(the
or
Thanks all ... I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some random reason that air was supposed to vent from there. It didn't seem like that would be the case, it was just too much heat escaping to possibly be efficient. I also didn't want to shove something in there that would just burn or melt, so I will check to make sure it's not an issue somewhere further up the chain and then use aluminium tape to seal it up!
"Kevin M" wrote in message
I have an unorthox HVAC setup due to living in an old converted loft building. I was doing some maintenance on my Armstrong Ultra SX80 and after turning it back on I noticed that there was heat gushing from a gap in a panel attached to the furnace. I have attached a picture of my setup with some notations of what everything is ... the red X circle indicates where the heat is leaking from (the gap where the AC condensation leak tube comes out). I'm wondering if I can insulate this somehow to keep as much heat feeding to the ducts as possible or if this venting is there for a reason?
http://imgur.com/EUp6YyN
I am not HVAC person but it seems to me that this is half ass setup You are showing Air Handler on side which should be in Vertical position. "EXPLAIN"

Tony944 wrote:

You obviously know little about HVAC systems , air handlers are often placed on their side like that . There are different types of evap coils , some designed for horizontal and some for vertical applications . The location of his air leak is the evap coil box , which is always on the output side of the furnace/air handler unit . Educate yourself before you spout off , you might not come across as such an idiot .
--
Snag

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message

You obviously know little about HVAC systems , air handlers are often placed on their side like that . There are different types of evap coils , some designed for horizontal and some for vertical applications . The location of his air leak is the evap coil box , which is always on the output side of the furnace/air handler unit . Educate yourself before you spout off , you might not come across as such an idiot .
--
Snag
Dear sir You need some education too!!!