headlamp as light source for repair project

Page 1 of 2
Seems like when I'm under a sink, etc., I always need a small light and never have a free hand.
Holding a small LED flashlight in the mouth works, but isn't ideal.
Would a small headlamp be an improvement? Or would I never have my head facing quite the right direction? Have any of you tried it?

Underground explorers and miners use the headlamps daily. There must be a good reason for that.

Home Hardware stores currently advertise here both: -- LED lamps on a headband (which I know at least one cousin finds convenient, walking home on unlit streets.) -- flashlights fitted with a spring clamp, to fasten it to any support, infinitely adjustable for direction, also LED.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

LED headlamps are great. Small, bright, lightweight and easy to adjust. I like them the best when I'm solo on a project. When several people working in the same area have them, there's lots of annoying flash and glare. Then general lighting in the area is better.
Tomsic

Cool-- looks like it would be a winner for a job where you're sitting-- I like my headlamp for moving around and working. [especially overhead]
I've been tempted by the visor lights for baseball caps, but I rarely wear a hat.
Jim
-snip-

This one (Amazon.com product link shortened) />/ replaced a carbide light that I hadn't used since my coon hunting days.
Never owned a battery on a belt light.
Jim
How's it get 300 lumens out of three AAA cells? Pretty small lumens, maybe?
The reviews were not kind, for this light. I'll pass.
This one (Amazon.com product link shortened) />/ replaced a carbide light that I hadn't used since my coon hunting days.
Never owned a battery on a belt light.
Jim
On Monday, August 13, 2012 9:19:30 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

By focusing all the light on a small area of course... More like narrow lumens. :)

A very short time, perhaps?

Yeah, that works well. ;-)
On Monday, August 13, 2012 10:41:25 PM UTC-4, Larry Fishel wrote:

I'm sure it won't take long for someone to point out that I was mixing up my lumens and my lux (sort of). Yeah, I'd be impressed if they really got 300 lumens out of a few LEDs and 3 AAAs. I bet whoever calculated that made the same mistake(?) I did...

300 lumen is WAY TOO bright for working on something. The glare would blind you I have a 265 lumen flashlight for self-defense. It's so bright that if will blind you temporarily if shined straight on.
This light is more for someone who wants to go hunting at night

Yes, they work and work quite well. The better ones can be adjusted for angle. They used to be costly, but today you can buy them for around $10 at Walmart and other places. They use LED lights so the batteries last a long time. They're definitely worth the price. They are handy when you have to do outdoor work at night too. For example, you cant carry in too much firewood when you have a flashlight in one hand, so USE YOUR HEAD (for the light).

I second that. I have one, and it's extremely handy, especially in tight spots when you need both hands on the workpiece. The one I have swivels up and down on the band, which is a big reason why it works so well: you can point it exactly where your eyes need to see.
Under-counter work is an ideal application for a headband-headlight.
--
Tegger

I have a couple of Harbor Freight headlamps that I find quite useful. For under $3, you can't go wrong.
http://www.harborfreight.com/headlamp-with-swivel-lens-45807.html
Of course, for bigger jobs I also have one of these, but I changed the mounting pole so I can aim it down on the work area. It's way too bright to be used at the maximum 3.5' height the default stand allows for. It just about blinds everyone in the area. Using an old aluminum tent pole from my boy scout days (!) I can extend the height from 6' to over 10.
http://www.harborfreight.com/500-watt-dual-head-halogen-shop-light-40123.html
TimR wrote:

I've got a baseball cap with three LEDs built into the bill. Works swell.
I've found several options. Strap on headlamp is good, in many cases. Tough when changing focuss, looking up and down with my bifocals. The light is seldom where I'm looking.
That said, I have several strap on head lamps, and I use them often.
You can also get area lights that are battery, or plug in. Small work light, or fluorescent camping lantern can help a lot.
Seems like when I'm under a sink, etc., I always need a small light and never have a free hand.
Holding a small LED flashlight in the mouth works, but isn't ideal.
Would a small headlamp be an improvement? Or would I never have my head facing quite the right direction? Have any of you tried it?

I bought one headlamp, too big and heavy. Then I bought an ear led lamp. Works great. I bought one long ago and was not cheap. This looks good.
http://www.sears.com:80/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM214231112P
Greg
Harbor Freight has one that's worth the three bucks on sale. Now, on sale $2.79. Comes with two AA carbon zinc cells that are likely to corrode and leak. http://www.harborfreight.com/headlamp-with-swivel-lens-45807.html
I use LED module designed to convert mini mags, to LED.
Works nicely, and reasonable price. The headband elastic stretches out, and then I put the module into another head light.
On Monday, August 13, 2012 10:53:43 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:

I find them very handy for a log of things. I've also found that there are at least some that are so cheaply made as to be almost useless (2 out of a package of 3 wouldn't work without adding a spacer so the batteries made contact and the caps that hold the batteries in pop off if you breathe on them too hard.)

Actually, the cheapest (I think it's the cheapest) ones are adjustable:
http://www.harborfreight.com/headlamp-with-swivel-lens-45807.html
Alas, no zoom.