have to hold down toilet handle

Hello, When I flush my toilet, I have to hold down the handle until the bowl is almost empty, or else the valve shuts off and it doesn't flush completely. Anyone know why, and how I can fix it?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Novotny

This is Turtle.

If the towlet is less than 10 year or so. You got one of the Bill Clinton Water saver Towlets. It will only do what you want it to if you hold her down long enough. I have two of them in my house and fixing to try the Tank assist tank to go in my towlet tank. It will make the towlet flush completely and not have to hold it down. I think it is made by American Standard. Now they do have the model already built into the new type towlet you can buy from them. i have has a plumber look at the two towlets of mine and there is nothing you can do about it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

the flapper valve in the toilet is broken(its suppose to float until the water leave the tank... and its falling down blocking off the hole in the bottom of the tank and not letting the rest of the water flow down.) you should take the tank top off and look at it when it flushes...if you have a flapper valve with a float on it make sure it is staying up and floating...if you have a chain attached to the flapper and it has a small round float attached to the chain then move it lower on the chain-closer to the flapper valve so it can hold the flapper up....... thats why the water is not going into the bowl.... hope this helps.

Reply to
jim

As you may have guessed by now, we are not sure exactly what the problem is from here.

I'll offer a few possible issues:

  1. A bad flapper valve. Easy and cheap to replace.
  2. clogged outlets under the rim. In time they can lime up and will no longer allow the designed amount of water to flow and flush. They are generally cleaned with a wire. Just scrap the scale blocking the flow.
  3. Poor design. Some are just not made well and don't flush well without help. The only fix for that is to replace it with a good one. Good is not always the most expensive. Often the most expensive looks expensive, but does not work as well as the mid price model. Look for a large (20 inch is very good) and fully glazed trap.
Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You may have a toilet that is designed to do this. Instead of the much more expensive dual flush system, some manufacturers put a float on the flapper chain that allows it to close fairly quickly for times when only a minimal flush is needed, but for a full flush you have to hold the handle down to keep the flapper up longer.

Reply to
Alan

OR- It could just be the chain on the lever is not lifting the flapper valve high enough to prevent it from being sucked closed by the water. Try taking a link or

2 of slack out of the chain between the lever and the flapper.

Mike

Reply to
AlienZen

Whats a towlet? Is that like a towelet that you get after dinner at Red Lobster?

Reply to
Eric

This is Turtle.

Some times i spell like the locals pronounce the words in my area. Here they pronounce it Tow let and not Toilet. Now if you go up north or to any big citys outside Louisiana. They Use the true spelling of Toilet.

Also here the Name He'bert is pronounced A'bear. I will spell it Abear.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Sometimes up here in the holler the float ain't 'just high 'nuff and it'll do thet.

Bob

they pronounce it Tow let and not Toilet. Now if you go up

Reply to
rck