Hardwood flooring mistake: How bad was it?

I just finished two rooms with hardwood flooring. I was told that the flooring should go perpendicular to the joists. In one room I remembered that. In the other I forgot.

The theory is that there's a tiny bit of flex between the joist that will eventaully cause the flooring to sqeak and maybe bow ever so slightly (but visibly).

I certainly don't plan to rip all the flooring up but I would like to know just hw serious of a mistake did I make.....

Reply to
emptyshell

The floor is nailed to the subfloor so it is not a question of falling apart. I'd run it the way it looks best. This has been discussed before, but there has been no evidence of any problems going in a different direction.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Depends on subflooring material. Have 2 rooms of 3/4" oak flooring that has to be redone because it was not perpend'r to joists. This was over 5/8" ply and the hardwood planking is starting to swell and lift which results in 'speed bumps' all over the floor. Could be due to moist indoor air and swelling of wood?

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

If it's raising from swelling, the direction it's laid isn't going to solve the problem. It's either on an inappropriate subfloor or has no expansion room around edges or there is a moisture problem from somewhere.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

On Sun, 29 May 2005 09:15:06 -0500, Duane Bozarth scribbled this interesting note:

I'd have to concur with this assessment based on everything I've seen.

John Willis

Thanks for all the comments, folks. FYI, I have 3/4 inch OSB as a sub floor. It's darn dry in Colorado so moisture is probably not a big issue.

Reply to
emptyshell