hanging outlets

Not sure what they are called really. Those outlets that you typically find in manufacturing environments - the ones in metal boxes hanging from the ceiling. Is something like that legal for a home, if so, is there a resource I can go to get parts for them, specs on how they are made? I'd like to put them in my garage in lieu of mounting outlets to the wall. It would give me a little more flexibility for my shop tools without having to dismantle my work benches and move everything to install outlets in the place.
Eigenvector wrote:

http://www.arizonatools.com/tools/retractable-power-reels /
--
Grandpa

No I'm thinking of actual outlets not extension cords. I can't find anything to match them. Best I can describe them is outlets in (typically) yellow metal boxes hanging from the ceiling by waterproof flexible rubber conduit. Usually there's a spring attached to the conduit to relieve tension on the cable.

You could just run romex through flex conduit into metal outlet boxes. The exterior boxes would look nicer.
Bob
On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 18:30:39 -0700, "Eigenvector"

I assume what you want is a hanging box with more than one outlet. As far as I know they are custom made. It is a flexible cord with an outlet box on the end and the power supply box on the other end.
http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/200310079.htm

Do you mean stuff like this?
https://www.hvcc.edu/about/construction/campuscenter/gallery/2005_03_17/images/ks_ctr030_jpg.jpg
http://www.troubleshooters.com/pool/repipe/images/electrical_conduit_assembled.jpg
http://www.rossbuilding.com/Renovation/IMG_0997.JPG
http://www.phys.ksu.edu/personal/washburn/pics/DSCN1092_power.JPG
It's standard conduit. It think conduit is legal for all uses but you need to ensure that the boxes are supported (on a stud or something). But get better advice than mine.
This is "BX" http://www.electrical-supply.net/images/products/WHP-3 (3).jpg I don't think BX is legal for many uses anymore, but again, I"m sure someone will have a say about it.
The only issue you might have is distance-to-use requirements, but again, I'm not sure.

https://www.hvcc.edu/about/construction/campuscenter/gallery/2005_03_17/images/ks_ctr030_jpg.jpg
http://www.troubleshooters.com/pool/repipe/images/electrical_conduit_assembled.jpg
McDonalds, powering the crap on the center island. Thick black cable, presumably with strain relief built in, and locking connectors on the ends to match up with the machines. No idea how they are tied to the feed box above the drop ceiling.
aem sends....

These are called pendants in the code and the wire woven cable grips are called kellums grips. This is not just a regular box hanging on Carflex like the picture. If that is all you want to do it is easier just to buy some 3 socket extension cords from the home store and hang them from insulated eyes in the ceiling

Yes, that's what I was thinking of. A pendant.
A couple of other posts gave me the information on what I'm looking for. But thanks, couldn't remember the name for what they were called.
I think you mean to use a bell box a bit like these: http://www.bwfmfg.com/one-gang-outlet-boxes.html
using a strain relief connector a bit like so: <http://remke.thomasnet.com/viewitems/482-wire-mesh-grips-wide-range-strain-relief-grips/wide-range-strain-relief-grips?&forward=1 These braided wire "Chinese fingers" are a bit pricey, you decide if you need one top and bottom. A regular strain relief el connector at the top should be more than sufficient. <http://remke.thomasnet.com/category/tuff-seal-8482-cord-connectors-cord-grips?
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 18:00:15 -0700, "Eigenvector"

Yes, but you have to call yourself a business. You could be Eignevector Industries, Incorporated. Just put that on your doorbell, of course. Don't use it anywhere else, unless you're really incorporated.
Just kidding. Actually I don't know but if those extension cords on a reel are legal, you could get the same effect by putting an outlet in the ceiling and a plug on the end of whatever wire you're using. And one staple near the plug to hold the cord to the ceiling. Down at floor + 7 feet there would be no difference from what those factories have. Then iiac, it would only be an extension cord and a better one than most. You're going to use it a lot less than a factory, so I don't think you need special strain reliefs.
BTW, iiuc you don't really say whether you want a flexible cord hanging down or conduit. I think you mean flexible.