Hand saw for earthquake emergency?

Page 2 of 2

...assuming you can get to the sock drawer.
Get the resue dog to sniff his way to it.....
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 20:33:09 +0000, Joe wrote:

Except there'll be a lot of debris in the way. Maybe they make hand saws for canine use?

Or, the sewer rats, or the feral dogs.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Actually, the dogs are trained to avoid food and dead corpses. The training teaches them to only find live bodies. Something to do with scents?

I have numerous handsaws, not one is specifically for sawing your way out of a collapsed house. Cutting away wood may lead to your demise--it might be safer to stay calm and put, save your energy, and call for help at strategic times.
james wrote:

Thus the advantage of those paper shacks they talk about.
james wrote the following:

Just carry a bunch of sticks of dynamite with you at all times.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

A phaser pistol from Star Trek would do the trick.
TDD
willshak wrote:

A pouch of PETN in your wallet would do it.
james wrote:

stihl chainsaw. Carry it on you.
I've lived through a couple of nasty California earthquakes... but nothing close to the scale of collapsing buildings.
Having said that; since the 94 quake, I've kept a nice heavy 30" crow bar at the foot end of my bed tucked between the mattresses. Even painted it white to help it stand out in dim light conditions. Along with it I keep a 2 'D' cell Mag Light, and religiously change the batteries every 2 (calendar) years.
I'm sure the crow bar would come in handy to break windows, and clear out any jagged glass remaining in the frames, and/or 'swat' through jammed doors should the house be shaken out of plumb. Could beat through plaster/stucco walls with it too, but it would take a few minutes.
I have another identical crow bar in the front room, tucked just out of sight behind the sofa. Note that both it and the one in the bedroom, (if kept dry) will require zero maintenance for many, many life times to come.
Should the house collapse and I'm trapped? All bets are off
Just my .02 worth. I hope none of us ever needs such tools... but knowing they are there, at least makes me sleep a little sounder...
Erik

re: "Note that both it and the one in the bedroom, (if kept dry) will require zero maintenance for many, many life times to come. "
Uh...like you wouldn't use a rusty crowbar to clear an exit if need be? ;-)
"D*mn! Should have kept it dry. Now it useless!"
P.S. If the one between the mattresses gets wet, you've got other issues to deal with.
In article

What I was getting at, is that the bars are useful for a lot of things in an emergency, 'robust', self contained and require no maintenance. all you really need to do is remember where they are...
Erik
Metal crowbar likely to bounce around, a bit. Might not be where you left it. I'd rather have one and have a fighting chance. Rather than be collapsed in, and no chance.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

On 01/14/2010 11:27 AM, james wrote:

You need a chain saw and a concrete cutting gas powered saw. No electricity expected after a quake.

Ohh! from the subject heading, I thought you meant a saw to get you out when your hand is caught. -- H
james wrote:

If earthquakes are fairly common in your area, perhaps you should consider something more substantial than a saw...
Camping section of Walmart, about ten bucks.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus