H/D TV

Page 1 of 3
Toshiba 52 in DLP, had the cable company ( Cox )out about 2 weeks ago, to install a cable card in my TV as it has a built in tuner and there is no need for a external box, the problem I am having is, I can't get all the channels in high def I am supose to all the time.
The cable company has been out 2 times checked the signal,programed the card, all the connections and every thing checks out, they re-program the set to learn the channels, that works for a day or so then I start to loose channels, they are telling me that the TV manufacture and the cable card manufacture ,are sometimes not on the same page and its takes the card a few times to learn and hold the channels.
Got them coming out tomorrow to check it out again and I want a different card.
Anyone else experiencing the same or similar problems, with a cable card.( Motorola card ) I don't want a big ass cable box on the tv when I paided for a built in tuner.
Thanks Tom

TV is getting way too complicated.... I just turn mine on, flip channels with the remote and watch it. Well, once and awhile i got to rotate the antenna. But no cards, no worry about HD, none of that, and best yet, no monthly bills.

Better pay attention. The feds are shutting off free TV in 2009 to free up the bandwidth for communications. Pay to play is the US way.
BP wrote:

That's not true. The only thing being shut down is analog broadcast TV (NTSC). It's being replaced by digital broadcast which is also free, the same content, plus HD capability and it's already available in most areas.

waves) a digital signal that can be received via antenna? Or are you talking about a digital signal that is transmitted via satellite that is recieved via dish? Give me a link so I can learn more about this new free service.

the proper antenna and tuner. See below:
Got HDTV signals? There are three basic ways to receive HDTV signals: Over-the-air (OTA) broadcasts from your local network and PBS affiliate stations; digital satellite TV providers such as DIRECTV and EchoStar (DISHNetwork); and finally, HDTV via cable. The first step on the road to HDTV is determining what signals are available to you, and what equipment you need to receive those signals. (For more specific HD programming info, see our HDTV Links article.)
a.. Over-the-air broadcasts: Digital TV broadcasts are currently being transmitted by 1550 stations in 211 TV markets around the country that include over 99% of U.S. TV households (as of 1/06). You can find out if any stations in your area are providing digital broadcasts by visiting this handy site and punching in your zip code (the site lists local cable HD availability, too). Or, check the National Association of Broadcasters' complete and up-to-date DTV station list. Be sure to note which channel numbers your local stations are using for their DTV broadcasts. Most are in the normal UHF range (14 through 83), meaning you can receive them with a UHF antenna. If some of the channels are below 14, you'll need a VHF/UHF antenna. For antenna information that's specific to your location, visit the Consumer Electronics Association's antenna selector website. We carry several TV antennas, including DTV-optimized models. What you need: an appropriate antenna for your signal conditions, and either an HDTV (a set with both HD-capable resolution and a built-in HDTV tuner), or an "HDTV-ready" TV connected to a separate HDTV tuner.

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx
I have an antenna and a box to receive the digital OTA broadcasts. The picure quality is equal to or BETTER than cable. The box I have is called US Digital, and Walmart sells it, but I think they may be discontinuing it.
Randy R
BP wrote:

They already are in most larger markets. Remember of course you need a TV capable of HD digital.
http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/02/analog-tv-shutdown-all-but-set-for-2009 /
The comments "The feds are shutting off free TV in 2009" are just totally wrong.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Try 2007......You will need to purchase a box that will allow you to receive digital signals. What do you think...People with TV's that have tuners that receive NTSC are going to go out and buy TV's with ATSC tuners? The box will adapt old TV's for new digital signals.
Paul

yes, most stations already have a digital counterpart, for FREE. That's how many of us get High Def programming, over the air, absolutely free. In fact, the quality is better than cable or satellite because the compression over those services are greater than OTA (over the air).
Go to www.antennaweb.org, type in your zip, and you can see what stations are broadcasting digitally in your area.

This is not satellite. Most digital stations are broadcast in the UHF band.
On 02/16/06 08:47 am BP wrote:

Enter your ZIP code at
http://www.antennaweb.org /
to find out what digital TV signals are being transmitted in your area (and at what distance and direction).
We have an outside antenna for digital TV because DirecTV doesn't yet have our locals in HD. And we get even more channels than I expected, because some stations are transmitting on multiple "subchannels"; e.g., not just 36.1, but 36.2 and 36.3 as well. There might be both 4:3 and 16:9 versions of the same program, different programs, or perhaps continuously updated local weather information.
Perce

I stand corrected. Thanks for all the info. Being a captive of a cable company (big hill behind the house results in no direct broadcast signals) I was assuming it was the same deal. Maybe I should put up a big antenna on the top of the hill.

It's the best picture you'll get, too, because the cable/satellite compress the video (remember, it's digital) more than your local network.
You will still be able to get free TV with the use of an off air antenna. You will just need to purchase the box to pick up the digital signals.
Paul

FCC accelerated the time for all manufacturers to include off the ait ATSC and NTSC tuners in all TV sets by later this year. Previously the ruling only allowed for sets 13" and larger by this year. Pretty soon, you won't be seeing HD monitors where you have to buy the tuner seperately.
I get my HD off a 20 year old roof antenna and get 2x more channels in HD than the cable company puts on the wire and I don't have to pay the $5 extra.
Ya right.....

1. They're shutting down the older broadcast system (NTSC). The digital ones (ATSC) can be as free as the older ones.
2. That date used to be earlier. Government often puts things off multiple times. I'd be surprised to find the change effective in 2009 as currently claimed.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Feb 2006 06:19:24 -0800, wrote:

Last date for analog broadcasts is February 17, 2009.
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/digitaltv.html
--
Seth Goodman

Of course that's when it is NOW. When Feb 17 2009 gets here, that cutoff could be sometime in 2011. Don't forget it's been put off before, and is likely to be again.