H/D TV

Toshiba 52 in DLP, had the cable company ( Cox )out about 2 weeks ago, to install a cable card in my TV as it has a built in tuner and there is no need for a external box, the problem I am having is, I can't get all the channels in high def I am supose to all the time.

The cable company has been out 2 times checked the signal,programed the card, all the connections and every thing checks out, they re-program the set to learn the channels, that works for a day or so then I start to loose channels, they are telling me that the TV manufacture and the cable card manufacture ,are sometimes not on the same page and its takes the card a few times to learn and hold the channels.

Got them coming out tomorrow to check it out again and I want a different card.

Anyone else experiencing the same or similar problems, with a cable card.( Motorola card ) I don't want a big ass cable box on the tv when I paided for a built in tuner.

Thanks Tom

Reply to
twfsa

TV is getting way too complicated.... I just turn mine on, flip channels with the remote and watch it. Well, once and awhile i got to rotate the antenna. But no cards, no worry about HD, none of that, and best yet, no monthly bills.

Reply to
maradcliff

Better pay attention. The feds are shutting off free TV in 2009 to free up the bandwidth for communications. Pay to play is the US way.

Reply to
BP

maybe get your model number and check:

buffalobill

That's not true. The only thing being shut down is analog broadcast TV (NTSC). It's being replaced by digital broadcast which is also free, the same content, plus HD capability and it's already available in most areas.

Reply to
trader4

Really? Are you saying that they are going to broadcast (that means radio waves) a digital signal that can be received via antenna? Or are you talking about a digital signal that is transmitted via satellite that is recieved via dish? Give me a link so I can learn more about this new free service.

Reply to
BP

You can get free HD over the air now. Flip the TV on, flip channels, watch TV in High Def. Free.

My 74 year old mother who can't set the VCR timer can do it, so can you!

Reply to
Larry Bud

What do you mean by "can't get all the channels"? What is the symptom?

never heard such a thing. Post this in alt.tech.hdtv for a better response.

Sounds like a cable problem to me. The TV tunes in whatever signal it receives.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Yes, they are transmitting digital signals over the air and receivable with the proper antenna and tuner. See below:

Got HDTV signals? There are three basic ways to receive HDTV signals: Over-the-air (OTA) broadcasts from your local network and PBS affiliate stations; digital satellite TV providers such as DIRECTV and EchoStar (DISHNetwork); and finally, HDTV via cable. The first step on the road to HDTV is determining what signals are available to you, and what equipment you need to receive those signals. (For more specific HD programming info, see our HDTV Links article.)

a.. Over-the-air broadcasts: Digital TV broadcasts are currently being transmitted by 1550 stations in 211 TV markets around the country that include over 99% of U.S. TV households (as of 1/06). You can find out if any stations in your area are providing digital broadcasts by visiting this handy site and punching in your zip code (the site lists local cable HD availability, too). Or, check the National Association of Broadcasters' complete and up-to-date DTV station list. Be sure to note which channel numbers your local stations are using for their DTV broadcasts. Most are in the normal UHF range (14 through 83), meaning you can receive them with a UHF antenna. If some of the channels are below 14, you'll need a VHF/UHF antenna. For antenna information that's specific to your location, visit the Consumer Electronics Association's antenna selector website. We carry several TV antennas, including DTV-optimized models. What you need: an appropriate antenna for your signal conditions, and either an HDTV (a set with both HD-capable resolution and a built-in HDTV tuner), or an "HDTV-ready" TV connected to a separate HDTV tuner.

Reply to
JerryL

They already are in most larger markets. Remember of course you need a TV capable of HD digital.

The comments "The feds are shutting off free TV in 2009" are just totally wrong.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

yes, most stations already have a digital counterpart, for FREE. That's how many of us get High Def programming, over the air, absolutely free. In fact, the quality is better than cable or satellite because the compression over those services are greater than OTA (over the air).

Go to

type in your zip, and you can see what stations are broadcasting digitally in your area.

This is not satellite. Most digital stations are broadcast in the UHF band.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Cable Card technology isn't quite there yet, IMO. People seem to experience a lot of the compatibility problems that you are and the cards don't have an interactive guide. I prefer my trusty Moto 6412 DVR stb with Comcast.

Greg M

Reply to
Greg M

I also wouldn't go CableCard. It's my understanding that it's unidirectional, in that it can tune in, but not send back. This means you cannot use some of the features your cable company offers like OnDemand programming. It is also my understanding that the cable card IS your tuner, you are not using your TV HD tuner but using your CableCard. Essentially the card is a small cable box, but is very limited in what it can do (as mentioned in other posts and this one). I can't see spending the money on digital/HD content but not using the interactive guide or having access to OnDemand content.

Reply to
grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Enter your ZIP code at

to find out what digital TV signals are being transmitted in your area (and at what distance and direction).

We have an outside antenna for digital TV because DirecTV doesn't yet have our locals in HD. And we get even more channels than I expected, because some stations are transmitting on multiple "subchannels"; e.g., not just 36.1, but 36.2 and 36.3 as well. There might be both 4:3 and

16:9 versions of the same program, different programs, or perhaps continuously updated local weather information.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I stand corrected. Thanks for all the info. Being a captive of a cable company (big hill behind the house results in no direct broadcast signals) I was assuming it was the same deal. Maybe I should put up a big antenna on the top of the hill.

Reply to
BP

You will still be able to get free TV with the use of an off air antenna. You will just need to purchase the box to pick up the digital signals.

Paul

Reply to
flansp78

Try 2007......You will need to purchase a box that will allow you to receive digital signals. What do you think...People with TV's that have tuners that receive NTSC are going to go out and buy TV's with ATSC tuners? The box will adapt old TV's for new digital signals.

Paul

Reply to
flansp78

Most local broadcast's are sending digital pictures because of the lack of HD content. Very few channels have the HD content, but it will pick up.

Paul

Reply to
flansp78

Lack of HD content? The major networks have most of their prime time in HD. Fox in NYC even has it's live helicopter camera shots in HD now.

Reply to
trader4

Lack of HD content? The major networks have most of their prime time in HD. Fox in NYC even has it's live helicopter camera shots in HD now

In many markets the local stations arent carrying full high def, they are sending out multiple feeds using the same bandwidth.

channel one downgraded high def channel two shopping channel three business feed

they want to maximize revenue $$$$

Reply to
hallerb