Grout vs. Caulk in tile expansion joints

I've read, here and elsewhere, where professional or at least experienced tilers say to use grout in the expansion joints. Or maybe it's not termed an expansion joint, according to them? Anyway, the joint where the tile meets the wall, tub, etc. What's the reasoning on using grout instead of caulk? Aesthetics, I imagine. But is there not a concern among the pro-grouters about buckling, or cracking? Or do you simply accept that as a risk and deal with it when it happens? I'm no expert, but I had mine buckle last year; oh, what a joy. And now others are loose. More joy. Personally, I don't think sanded caulk looks that bad to outweigh the advantage of, at least possibly, alleviating the buckling. Do I understand the two sides correctly?

Basically I was told if when you purchase your tile they have matching caulk, to get it but grout the joints. If the grout does pull use the caulk =)

Most of what I've read said to caulk. Overtime one of more of those areas will probably crack but could be 1 month or 10 years...

snipped-for-privacy@a.com wrote:

Reply to
shawn

Not concerned with the pulling; it's the pushing, and consequent buckling. I thought more would chime in here, as there are at least a couple posters who appear to be pro's who I believe said that they grout. Oh well...

I'm not a pro, but I would always use caulk in the areas where the tile meets the tub. I think that is most critical, as the tub is likely going to move more than any other area that the tile abuts, due to temp chg and weight of water. Plus, those are the areas where will have the most water, so even hairline cracks can cause big problems. Where tile abuts say a door threshold, I'd probably go with grout for aesthetics.

Reply to
trader4

When I had to "do" a small amount of bath tile work I saw a pre-mixed product that claimed to be both grout and caulk.

In came in white and "almond." It seemed to have a lot of latex in it.

It seemed to go a good job. It wasn't cheap: $7 or so for a little less than a quart.

If you are starting over with a completely new wall and back board, I would use grout for everything. "Hairline" leaks just don't make any difference with cement board.

Reply to
John Gilmer

best site i've run across has helped me immensly

Reply to
shawn