ground wires

Page 1 of 2
I will be wiring a timer with a ground that connects to the existing ground in the wall. The existing ground is actually two wires twisted together and wirenutted. If I remove this wirenut and add this ground from the timer to it but can't screw on a new wire nut, is electrical tape okay to use in place of a wirenut?

No, use the proper sized wire nut.
On 2/25/2012 11:09 AM, Doug wrote:

No, the wires should be nutted.
Every DIY project requires at least 2 trips to McLowes Depot. The first trip gets you all the things you think you need. The second trip is for getting the things you overlooked.
Looks like you need to make trip 2 to get some bigger wire nuts.
newsguy.com:

I try to avoid the third trip by buying everything I think I need, everything I think I might need, everything I think I think I might need and everything I think I think I think I might need.
That way there's only 2 trips - purchase a whole bunch of stuff and return most of it. Sometimes it works, sometimes I miss an "I think" along the way.
However, in most cases, I save up my returns until I have enough to make the wait at the return counter worth the trouble. The longest I held onto to something was about 9 months for a $70 shower head that I found in the basement. No questions asked...they just took it back and credited my card.

You most likely have a yellow wire nut. Get a red one that is larger. WW
WW wrote:

That is why I always keep assortment of this and that in my hell box.

Electrical connections must be made by positive mechanical ("pressure applied") means and properly insulated, IF the situation warrants insulation.
A wire nut serves both purposes.
Ground wire connections need not be insulated but they do need to be mechanically secure.
Why won't the were nut re-secure? Too small? Use a larger wire nut. Wires messed up? Reshape them a bit
I believe the classic yellow true "WIre Nut" can handle 3 - #12 as there maximum listed capacity is 4 - #14 w/ 1 - #18.
here is a link to their entire wire nutting offering.
http://www.idealindustries.com/media/pdfs/catalog/p-2873_wire_connector_catalog.pdf
Page 16 has some particularly interesting grounding solutions.
They make some new ones with a handy torquing adapter and some with very wide ranges of wire capacity. Substantial improvement over my preferred "yellow classic". They even make a screwdriver tool that works with their classic wire nuts.
Alternatives would be a split bolt (if you have one) or a Buc splice cap crimp 2006S.
cheers Bob

Gee you're not such a bad guy afterall tho we definitely disagree elsewhere <grin>. Thanks.

That's funny because I feel just the opposite but I'm off topic here. Back on topic .....I was able to re-use the red wire nut for the ground wires. Thanks all.... really appreciated !!!

You stumped me with that reply, I cannot parse it.
On 2/25/2012 10:09 AM, Doug wrote:

I've been using push in wire connectors for some time without a problem. They're easier to use and often take up less space than a wire or wing nut. The big box stores sell them but I get larger quantities from the electrical supply house. The fact that the wires are not twisted up is a feature that makes it a lot easier to get the wires back into a switch box.
http://www.idealindustries.com/prodDetail.do?prodId=in-sure&div=0&l1=push-in
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3xgkqgg
TDD
The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

I wondered myself why I liked them better but never realized why. You just explained it to me! On to the next nagging mystery.
--
Tekkie

On 2/27/2012 9:35 AM, Tekkie wrote:

When I change out a fluorescent lamp ballast the push on connectors are the only way to go because they make the job fast and easy. ^_^
TDD

I have looked at these connectors and can someone tell me how they are much different than the backstab outlets that have such a bad reputation?
On 2/27/2012 6:13 PM, Roanin wrote:

They're not backstab outlets, they're UL listed connectors. ^_^
TDD

them they seem to have the same little piece of metal that connects to the wire. How is it different mechanically?

current flow (and therefore heat).
On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 22:07:56 -0600, The Daring Dufas

On 2/27/2012 11:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've taken some back-stab outlets apart and the ones I disassembled had a spring that had a sharp edge that dug into the solid wire which is the only type they're supposed to be used on. The connectors have a rounded smooth spring surface that can also be used on stranded wire. I believe it gives the connector more surface area in contact with the wire. I've never had any problems with the connectors. I also have some connectors that have a little flip lever than will lock/release the wires and they're the same size as the push-in connectors.
TDD
The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

And who/what are these TDD?
--
Tekkie