Ground Fault Interrupter question

Page 1 of 2
I apparently ruined the ground fault interrupter outlet in the garage when I was trying to fix something. The thing has been a pain in the ass. I plan to replace it with a regular non-gfi wall outlet.
Any major reason not to? I know enough not to grab hot wires.
Thanks
Jim-Poncin wrote: I apparently ruined the ground fault interrupter outlet in the garage when I was trying to fix something. The thing has been a pain in the ass. I plan to replace it with a regular non-gfi wall outlet.
Any major reason not to?
=================== Nope. Those GFCIs are a ripoff and really not needed. Just like paying insurance premiums, bi-annual visits to the dentist, annual physical exams, driver's education classes, safety settings on weapons and washing your hands before eating.
I'd go into more detail, but I'm in the middle of removing the nose guard safety springs on all of my nail guns.
Gideon wrote:

Hi, I am laughing.

Excellent response. Do you suppose that he caught the sarcasm?

I had a GFCI in my kitchen that failed with a loud buzzing sound. It had attracted a boxfull of ants, ant eggs, and ant feces.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

And I'm cutting off all the extraneous (ground) prongs on electrical cords, and thinking about how much cheaper a house will be without all those ground wires and the annoying circuit breakers.
&&&&
Sorry about the following irrelevancy, but it needed saying anyway...
Dusty knew it was a sin to eat meat on Friday, so he had a green salad instead.
Dusty got a bad stomach ache because of some spoiled lettuce, and went to a hospital. His condition got much worse, despite the half-hourly praying. He got to go home after 4 agonizing months, sometimes so bad he had trouble hearing the prayers.
On the way home, he met a woman (also Catholic) on the street, and really couldn't control the urge to have immediate sex. Both believed any sort of protection here was a sin, so Dusty got a bad case of AIDS.
After 8 more agonizing months in the hospital (should have been much less, but this is a Catholic hospital and they don't believe in euthanasia), the AIDS had caused enough brain damage to make Dusty a mental vegetable.
Death took another year, despite the now-constant prayers. He had an extremely expensive funeral paid for by donations from around the world, which no one enjoyed.
As to the possible existence of Heaven, remember there is nothing left of Dusty at this point.
Meanwhile, Buddy ate a hot dog and lived a long and happy life.

For starters, it's a code requirement (210-8(a)(2) if the outlet is accessible
You may know enough not to grab hot wires, but do you inspect each cord and power tool before you plug it in every time you use them? Saw a training film on accidental electrocution years ago. A mom was making a video of her kid using a shop vac to clean his car. It had a fault, he's dead.
I guess it depends on valuable your (or someone else's) life is...
Does that mean that every outlet should be GFCI?

when I

plan to

accessible
and power tool

accidental
vac to clean his

Bob wrote: Does that mean that every outlet should be GFCI?
============ It means that the outlets in the most dangerous locations should be GFCI.

Actually, only the first outlet in a circuit needs a GFCI. All of the outlets downstream will also be protected.
Side note: one time while putting in a basement renovation, I managed to cut through the Romex which was a part of the circuit into which I was plugged. Protected by a GFCI, the only thing that happened is that the GFCI tripped and the tool died. Without a GFCI, I could have wound up as part of a 120V circuit --

So should the first outlet in every circuit have a GFCI?
What about the ceiling and wall fixtures?
Is there a difference between GFI and GFCI.

mm wrote:

Only required for receptacles in "dangerous locations" (generally outside, garage, basement, kitchen). To state the obvious, the circuit downstream from the GFCI has to be wired to the load side of the GFCI.

Only required for receptacles. Also some pool lites.

IIRC they all used to be called GFIs. I believe now GFIs trip on 30 mA ground fault (for equipment protection) and GFCIs trip on 5 mA (to protect people).
For your amusement plug connnected refrigerators/freezers in commercial kitchens have to be protected by GFCIs. The argument is properly operating refrigerators won't trip a GFCI and people have been shocked/electrocuted? by refrigerators.
bud--

GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) is the same thing as GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit (or Current) Interrupter). Just slightly different acronym.
GFI/GFCIs trip at 5ma. AFCIs (Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters) trip on arc detection _and_ have a ground fault function at around 30ma.

I would imagine so. Large units, heavy duty electrics, usually metal casings.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Chris Lewis wrote:

I found the reference for what I said. It is from Mike Holt at: http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive/AFCI-HTML/HTML/AFCI_Questions_and_Answers~20030301.htm
bud--

Be sure to include the outlet your refrigerator is plugged into. The smell of rotting food means you're protected.

In replacing the defective garage GFCI, I got zapped. I switched the circuit breaker marked for the garage outlets off. Started taking the old outlet out and got zapped. It didn't injure me, but obviously I didn't enjoy it.
I used my hot light to test which circuit breaker actually broke the circuit - it was marked for smoke detectors. The moral of this story is get a hot light and use it before trusting what the electrician marked up on the breaker box.
On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:36:29 GMT, "Jim-Poncin"

Or do your own marking. That's something I always do when moving in somewhere.
BTW, most panels were insufficiently marked, such as "plugs" (where?)
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

In the 2008 NEC it is very likely they will all have to be AFCI wich gives you 30ma GFCI protection, unless the new rule gets killed in the coordinating committee. It is currenty approved by CMP 2.
Rick wrote:

You and Gideon ought to get together and make half-way reasonable statement.
George E. Cawthon wrote:

Oops that was supposed to be get together with Rick.