Ground Fault Interrupter question

Oops that was supposed to be get together with Rick.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I give can get it right so I'll quit and blame it on the terrible cold I've got. I think is a lack of GFCI in my brain.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Only required for receptacles in "dangerous locations" (generally outside, garage, basement, kitchen). To state the obvious, the circuit downstream from the GFCI has to be wired to the load side of the GFCI.

Only required for receptacles. Also some pool lites.

IIRC they all used to be called GFIs. I believe now GFIs trip on 30 mA ground fault (for equipment protection) and GFCIs trip on 5 mA (to protect people).

For your amusement plug connnected refrigerators/freezers in commercial kitchens have to be protected by GFCIs. The argument is properly operating refrigerators won't trip a GFCI and people have been shocked/electrocuted? by refrigerators.

bud--

Reply to
Bud--

Not sure what you're trying to say either, but read the original post. The guy has problems with the GFCI and apparently ruined it while trying to "fix" something. In his case, I think a GFCI would be a good idea...

Reply to
Rick

According to Bud-- :

GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) is the same thing as GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit (or Current) Interrupter). Just slightly different acronym.

GFI/GFCIs trip at 5ma. AFCIs (Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters) trip on arc detection _and_ have a ground fault function at around 30ma.

I would imagine so. Large units, heavy duty electrics, usually metal casings.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

And I'm cutting off all the extraneous (ground) prongs on electrical cords, and thinking about how much cheaper a house will be without all those ground wires and the annoying circuit breakers.

&&&&

Sorry about the following irrelevancy, but it needed saying anyway...

Dusty knew it was a sin to eat meat on Friday, so he had a green salad instead.

Dusty got a bad stomach ache because of some spoiled lettuce, and went to a hospital. His condition got much worse, despite the half-hourly praying. He got to go home after 4 agonizing months, sometimes so bad he had trouble hearing the prayers.

On the way home, he met a woman (also Catholic) on the street, and really couldn't control the urge to have immediate sex. Both believed any sort of protection here was a sin, so Dusty got a bad case of AIDS.

After 8 more agonizing months in the hospital (should have been much less, but this is a Catholic hospital and they don't believe in euthanasia), the AIDS had caused enough brain damage to make Dusty a mental vegetable.

Death took another year, despite the now-constant prayers. He had an extremely expensive funeral paid for by donations from around the world, which no one enjoyed.

As to the possible existence of Heaven, remember there is nothing left of Dusty at this point.

Meanwhile, Buddy ate a hot dog and lived a long and happy life.

Reply to
someone

I found the reference for what I said. It is from Mike Holt at:

bud--

Reply to
Bud--

In replacing the defective garage GFCI, I got zapped. I switched the circuit breaker marked for the garage outlets off. Started taking the old outlet out and got zapped. It didn't injure me, but obviously I didn't enjoy it.

I used my hot light to test which circuit breaker actually broke the circuit - it was marked for smoke detectors. The moral of this story is get a hot light and use it before trusting what the electrician marked up on the breaker box.

Reply to
Jim-Poncin

Or do your own marking. That's something I always do when moving in somewhere.

BTW, most panels were insufficiently marked, such as "plugs" (where?)

Reply to
Mark Lloyd