Grease on Pavement Removal

Hi all, The other day when cleaning the foil from our grill I put down the foil which was was of greasy oil from our delicious hamburgers. However some of it dripped on to the concrete step area. It appears to have stained it (always looks wet and dark). I poured boiling water over it but to no avail still there. Are there any other remedies to remove this unsightly spot. Other than the obvious smart ass remarks like install new concrete step or fry bacon on it. TIA. j/k.

Justin

Reply to
Justin

Good old TSP was great, but not available in most areas today. You can get special concrete cleaning materials. A power washer may work. Good old dish detergent might even do it,

One favorite of mine is kitty litter and naphtha. Pour a little naphtha on it to get it wet, add kitty litter to absorb it. Add more naphtha and keep it wet for a while, then more kitty litter to absorb it until dry. That usually gets most of it. Concrete is porous so it may be difficult to get out.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

First thing to try is Tide laundry powder (with bleach). Soak the concrete, sprinkle the tide on it, let sit for a few minutes, scrub vigorously with a brush, rinse. Repeat if necessary.

If that does not work, try powdered dish washer detergent. It has (or used to have) a some TSP in it. Use gloves.

-- Tom

Reply to
Tom

Try some Gunk hand cleaner. Put a generous blob on the spot, let it soak in for about an hour, then wash off with a strong stream from a garden hose. That will get the most of it and sun/rain will finish getting out the rest.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Blue Cheer laundry detergent.

Reply to
G Henslee

Pour some paint thinner, varsol, or somethiong similar over the stain. Scrub it with a wire brush. Then cover it with a lyer of absorbent material like clay-based cat litter or a commercial oil absorbent product. Let it sit at least 20 minutes. Sweep it up, repeat if necessary.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Just spray carb cleaner (its a degreaser)

I use it to remove oil stains etc from my concrete all the time.

Spray, let it set in for a min and wipe. It will evaporate from there.

If its still discolored (after it dries), do it again and that'll be it.

Reply to
BocesLib

I use oven cleaner on brick and concrete to remove grease spots from grilling. Spray, let sit a while, hose off, repeat for stubborn spots. My Wal-Mart sells a brand that's only 97 cents a can. Not as good as Easy-Off, but good enough and a lot less expensive.

Reply to
Luke

wow, thanks for all the speedy and incitive replies. I will try them and see what works best and post it. Not a huge mess in terms of area but enough for me to be bothered by it. Once again thanks all, this group comes through as always.

Just>>

Reply to
Justin