Grarage Door Opener Sensor

I have a Chamberlain garage door opener. It has a safetey sensor (Part #: 41A4373). The receiving eye refuses to work when it gets cold and the garage door is left open for a while.
Is there anything I can do short of replacing it? Do you also know how to disable the sensor system until I get the problem fixed?
Thank you.