Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

In the 1970s, a nuclear plant was built in Shoreham, Long Island. On this map, that's right about where Wading River is, on the North Shore:
http://www.millhouseinn.com/main_pages/directions/maps/image_map1.gif
Smart people have a distinct preference for an evacuation plan in case something funny happens with a nuke plant. Local politicians were paid to believe that such an evacuation plan was possible on Long Island, even though that is impossible now, just as it was 30 years ago. They approved the construction of the plant. The plant never operated to full capacity and was eventually shut down.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Local politicians don't have approval for NRC requirements first of all.
Second, see previous response to this nonsense.

Where did you live during the time Shoreham was being proposed and then built?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Lynchburg, VA. Working NE at NPGD, B&W.

Hmm...then I suppose you didn't see much coverage of local officials doing everything in their power to pave the way for the Shoreham plant. Their devotion to the thing bordered on religious fanaticism, even though, as I mentioned earlier, the evacuation plan was pure fantasy.
I wonder why those politicians were so gung-ho about it.
Actually, no. I don't wonder at all. I've been involved with local politics here for the past 15 years. I know exactly how things work.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote: ...

And completely unneeded but an NRC operational licensing requirement.

Because it was a benefit to the city and surroundings.

Tell me your cynical reason why an evac plan is a requirement.

Not according to the citizens who paid the salaries of those politicians.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Already did in earlier response.

I suspect that wasn't universal, either. I'm quite sure there were a number of taxpayers who either didn't care or were supportive as well as those against. In fact, I would suspect in reality that the "didn't cares" far outnumbered either of the other two factions and that inaction of that large group allowed the agitation of the anti-s to be far more influential than their numbers would otherwise be. That's the typical scenario in almost all of these types of battles.

Nixon's "Silent Majority" strikes again.
--
:)
JR

They desired affordable, clean electric power.

Life must surely be depressing in "the glass is half EMPTY" world.
--
<sigh>
JR

Are you living in a fantasy world? Pay attention to your local politics, especially when stupid projects are at stake. Someone ALWAYS gets paid to love stupid projects. ALWAYS. No politician does anything out of the goodness of their heart.

That's too bad. I'll bet you pay dearly for electric service.
--
:)
JR

I no longer live there. I have no idea what they pay for service. However, I know that a significant number of citizens were more comfortable without a nuclear power plant located in a place that could never be evacuated.

Time for a reality check. Molasses has killed more people in the United States than nuclear power generation. There was no evacuation plan in place in Boston on 15 Jan 1919 when this happened: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boston_Molasses_Disaster
--
Regards,

Time for a reality check. Boston is not a peninsula.

sorts of ways -- and nuclear power generation is, historically, safer than even molasses storage.
--
Regards,

It's relevant, Miller. Flag down the nearest toddler for help with understanding this.

Sorry you're having so much trouble understanding this. I'll try to make it simple enough for even you to grasp:
Accidents happen.
*Nobody* has ever been killed in the U.S. by an accident involving nuclear power generation.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Not _quite_ true -- nobody has been killed in a nuclear accident, but there have been a few non-nuclear-related industrial accidents at nuclear generation facilities--steam burns and falls, etc.
There has not been a nonworker fatality nor, to the best of my knowledge, a confirmed injury to any member of the general public however.

generation still has a safer historical record than, among other things, the conversion of molasses to industrial alcohol.
--
Regards,