Gluing Plastic on Plastic

Page 2 of 2

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 18:22:12 -0800 (PST), do_not_spam snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com

Epoxy is really a filler. put duct tape on the outside of the shrowd. Fill hole with piece and epoxy. Put duct tape on other side and let it cure. The epoxy will hopefully wrap around the plastic and hold it.
Super glue is useless for all applications except bonding skin. For everything else, it is too brittle.
do_not_spam snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

I was going to suggest the same thing. I once read that knitting needles are great plastic to add to the joint, like a filler rod in welding. Of course this does depend on the original plastic.
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 18:22:12 -0800 (PST), do_not_spam snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

When I was looking into a similar problem, I found a long thread in sci.chem about gluing PE/PP plastic. Search on "plastic welding", I think. Short version: it's hard to do. Someone said that Loctite has a product, "Plastix", consisting of "a surface activator and compatible cyanoacrylate adhesive," which claims to be suitable "even for PE/PP."
I did the soldering iron thing, to fix an inner fender and air intake ducting on a Cavalier. It's been holding for a couple of years.
jb wrote:

Here's a handy link:
http://www.thistothat.com /
TDD