Glass lenses

Well my Google Foo failed me today.
Fella at work drug in 2 old railroad lights he bought on Ebay. I think they may have been to tell whether the track switch was thrown. I don't think they originally had a light inside, but I am rigging a single bulb socket in them for electrification. The glass lenses he was given/sold are NOT the right size and it will be cluster xxx to use them. The OD of the lens holder is 5 1/4", 5" might work.
I have entered all kinds of things in Google and get lots of eyeglasses. Trailer and car sites show round lenses, but I've not found any that tell me sizes. Glass would be best. Each light needs 4 lenses - 2 red and 2 green (the colors are a guess, but that is what he was given). I suggested a modification to the sheet metal to use the lenses he has, but he doesn't want to modify the original Atchison Topeka and SF units.
If anyone has any sources or info it would be appreciated.
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
On 12/19/13, 5:45 PM, DanG wrote:

First, I know little if anything about trains and/or railroad signaling equipment.
However, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out they use 'Fresnel' type lenses for a lot of that stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_lens
Not much, I know, but might be an additional search term to try.
Good Luck!
Erik
On 12/19/13, 5:45 PM, DanG wrote:

Oh... meant to mention in my last post.
The country is peppered with railroad museums... 5 or 6 years ago I went with a friend to a big one out at Perris CA.
They had buildings full of old parts/components of every description... complete with scores of friendly volunteers and train buffs who would answer questions and talk train all day if you let them.
Maybe find a local one, visit or write... I'm reasonably sure someone could at one of them could get you going.
Now that I think about it, the Perris museum had a section devoted to signals and the like... but I didn't go look.
Again good luck!
Erik

First google hit was to ebay. First lens at ebay is a 5 1/6" Red fresnel. Lots of other round railroad lenses were shown. For those that don't give sizes, just query the seller.
This site also looks interesting:
http://www.generalsignals.com/railroad_signal_lenses.htm
I quote: " Wayside Signals
General Signals maintains the most complete line of wayside signal lenses in the country. Inner and outer doublets are made of lexan, glass, and plexiglas. All standard sizes are available including dwarf, inverted color lights, and semaphore lenses."
My Google search phrase was very elaborate:
Lenses for railroad lights
On 12/19/2013 10:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Thanks for the General Signal reference. I will send them a picture and query.
--

Keep the whole world singing . . .

Dunno, but if he's interested in one of those track switching thingies. I have one I'm willing to part with. Extremely heavy item, I've been using for a lawn decoration.