glass cutting for home office

Hello, I am looking to have 2' x 4' glass seperating the rooms of my basement office, similiar to what I see in commercial settings. I have located sheets of glass at a local used material outlet and I was wondering what tool would I need to cut the glass down to 2' x 4'. Also, is there a specific thickness for glass that is used in commercial settings?
I have used a glass cutter in the past to cut small sized glass, but what is used to cut bigger sized sheets of glass?
thanks, Stein

Tempered would be my guess. Much safer if it breaks. Standard sheet glass is outlawed for uses in storm doors because of the risk of injury. If you are envisioning a "glass wall" you may want to do the same. Ed
wrote in message

Agreed. Building Code specifies distance above floor, distance from door and such for non tempered glass. I would be very careful about using window glass in this priject.
TB
Stein wrote:

Glass cutter, straight edge, tape measure, and square.

thicker glass requires a different cutter head than normal window glass, and typically a different kind of breaking tool. the angle of the bevel on the cutter wheel is different, unless one is using a diamond cutter.
Stein wrote:

Before you go too far with this concept you'ld better make sure you'll comply with code. Code restricts where non-tempered glass can be used - for instance not within certain distances from doorways or certain distances from the floor for starters, and there's probably more restictions as well.
Michael
Cutting old glass is no fun. I'd suggest getting someone in the glass business to do it. Is it located such that code will require the use of tempered glass? Make sure the used material isn't tempered because you can't cut tempered glass.
Boden
Stein wrote:

In article

glass in this instance, and even if it doesn't, or you won't be inspected, you're still well-advised to use safety glass.
Laminated can be cut by a home owner, with proper instruction and practice. Tempered, however, cannot.
Minimum thickness should be 3/16" for tempered, 1/4" for laminated.
--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.