GFI bathroom re wiring

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:34:38 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I can't speak for the Great White North but the NEC (US) requires GFCI protected receptacles in the bathroom no matter where it is in the bathroom.
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 05:37:45 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Newer codes requires that each bathroom has a 20A GFCI outlet. Since you don't normally have but one (blow dryer) in use at a time, you could have many bathrooms on the same circuit without any problem. If you do have more than one person using a blow dryer at a time, the breaker trips and you have to reset it. It is really not a hazard, but it could be a nuisance. It just depends on how much of a nuisance you consider it to whether you want to spend more money on having more than one circuit.
If you delete the box behind the mirror (and you should if you can't make the box accessible), all you need to do is make sure the downstream circuit is still GFCI protected and it meets code.
I would not consider under the house moisture to be a problem for a GFCI. A receptacle you add outside might be different.
On Monday, February 10, 2014 10:09:58 PM UTC-5, Metspitzer wrote:

ling to make wife and daughter happy.

sit flat.

rently on this entire 20 amp circuit.

ires that branch the outlets together. I am guessing it is through the stud s when they built the house and as such, they may be inaccessible or if the y do go into the attic are covered under the floor of my bonus room to whic h I have no access because the bonus room is finished.

all. Then run a wire from this box into the crawl space then to the two new outlets in the bathroom.

a wire from this junction box down the entire length of the wall into the crawl space. Install another junction box in the crawl space and make the c onnection to the new outlets here. I would also have to run new wires from the two other outlets in the two other bathrooms into the crawl space to ti e into the junction box. (Doing it this way requires new wiring on the enti re circuit but eliminates an accessible junction box being required in the wall).

here is a little moisture after a lot of rain, will I have trouble with the GFI tripping? My idea would be to use one of those outside metal moisture proof boxes but just run regular 12/2 wire to this junction. Would using co nduit to this junction be a better idea?

I don't believe that is true. What is required is that the *circuit* be rated at 20 amps and the outlets be GFCI protected. The outlets can be either 15A or 20A.
Since

There is another aspect to it. I believe if you have a 20 amp circuit supplying one bathroom, then you can have the lights, fan, etc in that bathroom on the same circuit. If you supply more than one bathroom with the same 20 amp circuit, then only the outlets can be on it.
On Monday, February 10, 2014 7:37:45 AM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

ing to make wife and daughter happy.

it flat.

[...]

Is it code compliant to run romex in conduit? Is it proper to do? Just tryi ng to make the installation as protected as possible. Nothing should happen but I have a lot of moisture in the crawlspace. More than should be. My du ct work is dripping wet in the summer. I need to figure out something on th at.
Also, a lot of large city's require nothing but metal conduit and don't eve n allow romex. Is EMT with individual wires inside the ultimate installatio n in terms od longevity and protection?
Just wondering. I tend to overthink/overbuild stuff when I do it.
On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:10:01 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

lling to make wife and daughter happy.

sit flat.

rrently on this entire 20 amp circuit.

wires that branch the outlets together. I am guessing it is through the stu ds when they built the house and as such, they may be inaccessible or if th ey do go into the attic are covered under the floor of my bonus room to whi ch I have no access because the bonus room is finished.

wall. Then run a wire from this box into the crawl space then to the two ne w outlets in the bathroom.

n a wire from this junction box down the entire length of the wall into the crawl space. Install another junction box in the crawl space and make the connection to the new outlets here. I would also have to run new wires from the two other outlets in the two other bathrooms into the crawl space to t ie into the junction box. (Doing it this way requires new wiring on the ent ire circuit but eliminates an accessible junction box being required in the wall).

there is a little moisture after a lot of rain, will I have trouble with th e GFI tripping? My idea would be to use one of those outside metal moisture proof boxes but just run regular 12/2 wire to this junction. Would using c onduit to this junction be a better idea?

en but I have a lot of moisture in the crawlspace. More than should be. My duct work is dripping wet in the summer. I need to figure out something on that.

Yes and no. AFAIK, you can run romex in conduit as long as it's a dry location. Romex however is not rated for wet, whether in a conduit or not. However, I doubt the joist area of your crawlspace qualifies as a wet location. If it does, you have bigger problems. The moisture you're seeing on ducts in the summer I presume is condensation with the AC running? Are the ducts insulated? Wire going anywhere near them?
The other alternative I guess would be to run UF cable. But I don't see the need and it would probably stand out and attract attention during any inspections.

ion in terms od longevity and protection?

Depends. Conduit offers great protection from physical damage. If you're running wire down an exposed garage wall for example. But romex is used in millions of homes and when used correctly is perfectly safe. Is there any existing wire in the crawlspace now? It's what you'd expect to find there.

On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:27:06 AM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

talling to make wife and daughter happy.

ot sit flat.

currently on this entire 20 amp circuit.

e wires that branch the outlets together. I am guessing it is through the s tuds when they built the house and as such, they may be inaccessible or if they do go into the attic are covered under the floor of my bonus room to w hich I have no access because the bonus room is finished.

e wall. Then run a wire from this box into the crawl space then to the two new outlets in the bathroom.

run a wire from this junction box down the entire length of the wall into t he crawl space. Install another junction box in the crawl space and make th e connection to the new outlets here. I would also have to run new wires fr om the two other outlets in the two other bathrooms into the crawl space to tie into the junction box. (Doing it this way requires new wiring on the e ntire circuit but eliminates an accessible junction box being required in t he wall).

s there is a little moisture after a lot of rain, will I have trouble with the GFI tripping? My idea would be to use one of those outside metal moistu re proof boxes but just run regular 12/2 wire to this junction. Would using conduit to this junction be a better idea?

ppen but I have a lot of moisture in the crawlspace. More than should be. M y duct work is dripping wet in the summer. I need to figure out something o n that.

ation in terms od longevity and protection?

The duct is insulated and the moisture is when the ac is running. Suprissin gly, all my electrical connections come from the top. There are very few, i f any wires in the crawl space.
Sorry I am overly anal sometimes when it comes to doing something. I just w ant to do a good job that will last and not cause a danger or problem for m e or my family. I thought maybe conduit would add protection. I don't think the line would cross duct work but it might. Thanks,
On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 05:10:01 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Romex is far simpler, and every bit as good as far as long like unless you have a rat problem.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes:

Using pipe does make it easier to rewire or augment the circuit later, however. FWIW.
If possible, it is good to run light fixtures in any room on a different ci rcuit than wall outlets, so that if you trip the wall outlet breaker, you w ill not kill the lights in that room. Thiis is especially good to note whe n the bathroom is an interior room with no outside windows.