GFCI's required in a non-updated bathroom? (Two prong type)

Page 4 of 4

Not so much this year. You have to make yours look better than the 10 others the realtor is showing the buyer today.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That is certainly true in my neighborhood. There are still quite a few short sales and foreclosures, all of which are listed for significantly less as-is than the other houses for sale. And there are at least 2-3 others identical to mine (1950's end of group row house)within about a 4 block radius. , and even more that are inside groups. And since I'm not living there, and am juggling two mortgages, I'm not going to quibble over too much! (Well except for the part where they want me to replace some cracked tiles on the bathroom wall. My contractor said that's asking for problems, that it'll go from 8 tiles to their neighbors and will end up with a bunch of tiles, none of which will match the originals. OTOH, the buyer didn't specify they have to match!)
BTW, called an electrician from a company that had done work there before. He quoted $125 over the phone. He'll check to see if there is a ground. If not he also mentioned that it could be attached to the water pipe. Thanks for the help. It was such a relief to hear it would not be some thousand dollar type of repair! Onward and upward to where they want an unused sidewalk removed. And the chimney waterproofed.

Lee-
Fix the easy / cheap ones.
The GFI can be done by a reasonable competent preson; turn off the power to the receptacle & swap if for a GFI recepetacle. Running a ground wire to the nearest water pipe is pretty much a hack solution. My suggestion; if no ground at box, install & "sticker" the GFI.
Negotiate some dollars to be held in the escrow acct to pay for some of the disputed items (chimney waterproofing & sidewalk removal) ...don't want to be fixing the laundry list prior to sale & have the buyer back out.
cheers Bob

re: "The GFI can be done by a reasonable competent person; turn off the power to the receptacle & swap if for a GFI recepetacle. "
That's assuming the GFCI fits in the original box. My house was built in '56 and getting GFCI's into some of the original work boxes was either difficult or impossible.

........and a reasonably competent person would be able to figure this out.
btw some of the currently available GFI's are a bit smaller than first generation GFI's and are an easier install
getting first generation GFI's into (1980) metal "old work" was tough but doable
cheers Bob cheers Bob

re: "...and a reasonably competent person would be able to figure this out."
Right, except that you never mentioned that in your earlier post.
You listed the steps required to swap it, without any caveats, which is why I brought it up.
Keep in mind that the OP also mentioned a receptacle in a medicine cupboard, which also might present an space problem.

It was there...just had a couple typos

reasonable competent preson s/b reasonably competent person.....
you are entitled to a complete refund
cheers Bob
btw the thread kinda drifted off the cabinet GFI requirement