GFCI's required in a non-updated bathroom? (Two prong type)

:

lt or impossible.

Reply to
DD_BobK

Computers need a ground? That would certainly be news to the two that have been running in my cars for close to a decade.

Reply to
gfretwell

car computers are grounded to the vehicle.

at least a few years ago many PCs needed to be grounded. no ground can cause static issues

Reply to
hallerb

Please describe "static issues". Give examples, too.

Reply to
salty

te:

ficult or impossible.

re: "...and a reasonably competent person would be able to figure this out."

Right, except that you never mentioned that in your earlier post.

You listed the steps required to swap it, without any caveats, which is why I brought it up.

Keep in mind that the OP also mentioned a receptacle in a medicine cupboard, which also might present an space problem.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

flakey operation, freezes lock ups etc.

a buddy who repairs computers for a living asks this question first.

i found this out after i had issues and his advice checked the outlet ground, which wasnt solid, after a earler receptable replacement

this all 5 years ago, i dont know about today

Reply to
hallerb

all will work perfectly without a ground. keep trying.

The ground is there for equipment operation. It's there to safeguard the human during a electrical fault (110 breaks loose, touches the case; transformer isolation breaks down, etc.)

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Most "computer repairmen" are not really electronic techs. They are amateur parts changers who turned a hobby into a job. That is evident in your friend's diagnosis. There is no scientific basis for the claim that personal computers need a ground to operate properly. That has been true since the inception of personal computers. A good ground is a good idea, but not to make the computer free from "static issues" or to enhance reliability.

Reply to
salty

god damn keyboard dyslexia. That should read: "The ground is NOT there for equipment operation."

Reply to
AZ Nomad

You don't need a ground to avoid "static issues" either.

Static electricity is when two objects are at different electrical potentials. Connect them together and there is a brief electrical current until they are at equal potentials.

When installing static sensative devices into a computer, one doesn't need to be grounded. One simply needs to be at the same static potential as the equipment. For example, after removing a memory module from its antistatic wrapping, hold it in one hand, with the other touch the computer's case. Module, human, and computer are now all at the same static potential and there will not be a equipment damaging current flow when the device is installed.

I live in bone dry phoenix arizona and have to do something like this every time I kiss my wife goodbye before going to work. I touch her hand first so the static zap is there instead of at the kiss.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

A ground might be necessary for some surge protectors to work. The computer that's plugged into it, not so much.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I believe that's exactly what I said.

Reply to
salty

What type of surge suppressor might that be?

Reply to
salty

Nope. If the surge protector's ground input is isolated, they'll still work perfectly.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

rote:

ifficult or impossible. > btw =A0some of the currently available GFI's are a bit smaller than

It was there...just had a couple typos

Reply to
DD_BobK

Could be equally applied to hallerb.

On the other had you cleverly edited out the context for my reply and left parts that are not relevant. Editing is too difficult a concept?

In any case, at least leaving "too much" gives the context for how the thread got where it is.

The relics inserted by the google "newsreader" are garbage. They are

100% noise. When I use google I carefully edit them out.
Reply to
bud--

Sorry my editing didn't meet your specs....too little, too much, too selective........ too bad

In the future, I'll continue to post the way I want to post...welcome to the internet.

If you need help using navigation means on your computer maybe someone can help you out.

Don't like a post...here's a tip.....ignore, don't read it.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

I am not talking about the onboard processors. I have 2 P1 desk tops running in cars on inverters as MP3 players ... and no, ... that center pin on the receptacle does not go anywhere.

Reply to
gfretwell

All of which applies to your post a couple back. If you followed you own advice you wouldn't have made it.

Reply to
bud--