HELP:Upgrading two prong

J > I have read the postings on this topic in this news group and haven't J > found one quite like mine so.... J > J > Yes, I live in a 1959 house, and the house sockets are only two J > pronged... J > J > Now, when I removed the faceplace and socket, I found wires entering the J > metal box from the top and connecting to the socket. And another set J > connecting of wires connected to the same poles exiting the bottom of
As the others have said, it appears there is a good possibility your outlets can be replaced by three prong/grounded ones. To be absolutely certain you will need an outlet tester. (I periodically check the outlets here -- wiring can loosen.)
Ideally you would open up all the outlets and make the upgrades suggested by another poster. With all due respect, fat chance! <g> While this is the proper way I'll admit I probably wouldn't do it here -- it works, leave it alone. At the outlets being upgraded I would add the ground wire; I would not rely on the screws holding the outlet in place to be the sole ground connection.
- » barry.martin■AT■ «
* Kansas motto: Toto isn't here anymore.
■ RoseReader 2.52ß P003186
■ The Safe BBS ■ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
Add image file

Site Timeline is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.