GFCI's required in a non-updated bathroom? (Two prong type)

Page 2 of 4

I wouldn't say the relative is incorrect. If it is indeed only 2 wire w/out a ground, the correct and safest way (GFCI, right?) to install it is to run wires plus a ground back to a panel or sub panel. All other options are short cuts to save time, money or hassle, which reduce the safety and *expected* working of the GFCI.
teabird wrote:

GFCIs still work when there is no ground. The NEC explicitly allows them to be installed when there is no ground, but in that case they have to have the label several people have referred to. IMHO RBM's second post is the best advice.
--
bud--

m> wrote:

far better to install a ground wire.
its not a killer expense, treat the buyer nice, so they dont back out
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The only newsreader that leaves this garbage is your retarded google one. The garbage is just more noise, even to the people that use google-groups. Editing is too difficult a concept?

Using your Ouija board again?
You have no idea how difficult it will be to add a ground wire. And it has not been code compliant for many years to attach it to a water pipe, except for the first 5 feet of pipe inside the building.
--
bud--

And the reason your previously posted replies contained lots of "quoted text" that you failed to "edit" ...might be?
Editing is too difficult a concept?
cheers Bob
DD_BobK wrote:

Could be equally applied to hallerb.
On the other had you cleverly edited out the context for my reply and left parts that are not relevant. Editing is too difficult a concept?
In any case, at least leaving "too much" gives the context for how the thread got where it is.
The relics inserted by the google "newsreader" are garbage. They are 100% noise. When I use google I carefully edit them out.
--
bud--

Sorry my editing didn't meet your specs....too little, too much, too selective........ too bad
In the future, I'll continue to post the way I want to post...welcome to the internet.
If you need help using navigation means on your computer maybe someone can help you out.
Don't like a post...here's a tip.....ignore, don't read it.
cheers Bob
DD_BobK wrote:

All of which applies to your post a couple back. If you followed you own advice you wouldn't have made it.
--
bud--

No ...not exactly.
I don't "not like" your posts........I find them ridiculously entertaining, keep them coming. :)
It's interesting to see how some people's brains work.
cheers Bob

No ...not exactly.
I don't "not like" your posts........I find them ridiculously entertaining, keep them coming. :)
It's interesting to see how some people's brains work.
cheers Bob
Dude, not to be argumentative, but you've got issues

com> wrote:

most people overestimate the difficulty in fishing wires in walls. and no wherre did i mention attaching it to a water pipe

most people overestimate the difficulty in fishing wires in walls.
So, you've polled "most people" have you???

theres often a easy way to get a wire to where you want it.
too many get scared off by just the idea of running a wire. personally i enjoy the challenge of wall fishing. have done a good bit of it over the years.
a un grounded GFCI will cause home inspection grief...........

om> wrote:

re: "...which reduce the safety and *expected* working of the GFCI"
Please explain, especially your highlighted use of the *expected*.

om> wrote:

Then (IMHO) you would be as incorrect as Lee's relative.
GFI's dont need a ground to do their job....that's why they come with those stickers. A GFI without a ground will test & function just fine.
Besides.. it is very likely a 1950's house has a ground wire in the "Romex" bundle
A GFI w/o a ground provides a BIG improvement in safety compared to a simple 2 prong receptacle.
I'll defer to others in the ng more expert but spending $$$'s to run a ground wire in ONE location when a GFI w/o a ground will work fine is a waste of money....when I'm sure that those $$$'s could yield more safety elsewhere in the house
cheers Bob

That really depends on your builder and if he expected a GI Bill inspection. Houses sold under the GI Bill were supposed to have grounded wiring. Your chance of that happening probably varies by your distance from the nearest VA office with an inspector. In DC it was common to have 3 wire Romex and 2 pin receptacles in the 50s, even in the cheapest tract house (most likely to get a GI tho). You can test this with a 3 light tester and a 3 prong adapter connected to the center screw. If it says "OK" you have a ground (although it is going to be 16 or 18 gauge)
DD_BobK wrote:

I believe the GFCI itself needs a ground, it's the stuff downstream that doesn't.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

nope, it works just fine without any ground at all.

Nope. As mentioned several times in this thread, GFCI's work just fine without a ground. In most cases, they are a safe and code approved alternative to installing a safety ground. -- Doug

Exactly wrong.