GFCI Fuese

Are there any 20 amp GFCI protected FUSES available. I need to replace one in a junction fuse box.

Reply to
Helen Keech

Just a guess.. If not, there is probably one you could put inline.

Reply to
Bill

I doubt it very much, probably better off replacing your panel for breakers if that is an issue or requirement.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Put a GFCI outlet in the first box on the string, feed the down stream from the "load" side. If this confuses you, call an electrician.

Reply to
gfretwell

Are you suggesting he merely "plug-in" that string? Is that likely to satisfy code requirements?

Reply to
Bill

No he isn't, you should call an electrician.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

GFCIs also mitigate the lack of a ground wire. It is the only legal way to do a replacement of an ungrounded receptacle with a 5-15.

Reply to
gfretwell

Then the way I understand it, the "downstream" part won't be GFCI-protected.

Reply to
Bill

A GFCI receptacle (outlet) will protect whatever is plugged into it and whateven is connected to it's load side. As Gfre suggested, that's an easy way to protect subsequent outlets that are downstream of it. It's very common, including in new construction. One GFCI receptacle in a bathroom providing protection for multiple outlets is an example.

To answer your original question, I've never heard of a GFCI fuse replacement that just goes in place of an existing fuse. One reason it can't is a GFCI device needs to be in both the hot and neutral conductors so it can compare the currents, that's how it works. A fuse is only in the hot side on a 120V circuit.

Reply to
trader_4

That is precisely why he said you should call an electrician.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

In retrospect, that makes sense. Thanks! I had no idea how GFCI receptacles worked, though I have installed a few.

Reply to
Bill

You sound like you think you have one already that has failed? Well, you need to replace one What? Fuse or GFCI protected Fuse?

You're not thinking of Fustats, are you? They screw into the fuse socket and have different pitch threads for each amperage, so you can only screw the correct fustat into the socket. Very popular with landlords who have inadequate wiring and stupid tenants, so the tenant doesn't burn down the place with fuses that are too big.

Or are you thinking of circuit breakers that screw into fuse sockets. They have one button in the middle. They are not GFCI, and they are not fuses either. They are circuit breakers shaped like fuses. I haven't seen any for sale but they wouldn't be for sale in a store this far from old housing. Maybe in no store these days, but sure enough, Amazon has them. $9.43 for 20 amps. That's only 47 cents an amp. It gets 4.6 stars.

They sell Fustats too.

Well if the house has fuses now, it probably meets code, and a GFCI in any outlet would be an improvement, right? This is not the kind of change which requires meeting a later code requirement, is it?

The biggest problem I see is trying to decide which is downstream and which is upstream. I can see the wiring in my basement laundry room, but I would still have a very hard time figuring out which receptacle the power goes to first and then next. One would have to plug in lights or radios to every outlet, then open up the one one thinks is closest to the fusebox, disconnect one side, and see what other receptacles go dead, not just in the same room but other rooms.

Then do the same thing with other receptacles. Unless Helen was only trying to protect

Reply to
Micky

If properly installed, all "downstream" components are protected. Upstream are not. Properly installed means connected to the panel with the "line" screws, and the downstream connected to the "load" screws.

Reply to
clare

Well, we should make sure we are clear in our wording for the non-initiated.

A GFCI with downstream fixtures (receptacles, etc.) connected to line screws would still be considered "properly installed" as long as downstream protection is not desired. There is nothing "mandatory" about using the load side for downstream fixtures.

In addition, it doesn't have to be connected to the *panel*, at least not directly.

*Source wires connected to the line screws" would cover all cases better than "connected to the panel". That's a bit of a nit, but it covers it all just a little more clearly.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

GFCIs never needed a ground wire to function.

Reply to
gfretwell

The ironic thing is you could build a brand new house today and use a fuse panel as long as you had the "type S" rejection devices in the sockets that prevent putting in the wrong fuse. The problem becomes the 240v circuits where there is no rejection device although the 30a class fuse holder will not take a 40 or 50. The problem would be the range, wired with 8ga and the next size fuse holder that will take a 60. Then you get down to the AFCI and GFCI requirements although the code does allow the "device type". There is also no money to be saved by doing it. If you could find a

200a fuse panel, it would cost more than a breaker panel by the time you also bought all the required AFCIs and GFCIs.

My circa 1971 house in Md did have a 200a fuse panel and aluminum wire. It hasn't burned down yet.

Reply to
gfretwell

Another post suggested that GFCI protection would be given to downstream receptacles. It's just a matter of curiosity to me. It still is... Whatever anyone does, use an outlet tester! ; )

Reply to
Bill

The downstream receptacles are GFCI protected if the the GFCI is installed so that they are connected to the load side of the GFCI. The nit that Derby is pointing out is that Clare said "properly installed". He's right, you can properly install a GFCI so that only the GFCI receptacle itself is protected, by wiring the downstream receptacles to the power side of the wiring, instead of the load side. There is nothing that says you can't do it that way and you might have a reason for wanting it that way.

Reply to
trader_4

Funny, my mother had a 10A kettle working on a 5A fuse for about 3 months before it blew.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

The correct fuse selection should avoid this nuisance.

Reply to
FromTheRafters