Getting a motor out of storage?

I put a generator in storage (5hp Kawasaki) by putting oil in the cylinder per the instructions.

When I want to use it again what do I have to do? The instructions don't go into that. Do I have to get the oil out of the cylinder, or will it just be pushed out when I try to start it? Will the spark plug be okay, or do I have to replace it?

Reply to
Toller

We assume Kawasaki instructions were to put a couple of spoonfuls of oil into the cylinder. If the spark plug is clean and bright (and correctly gapped) this unit ought to start without trouble.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Most people just remove the spark plug and rotate the engine a few times to get the oil out of the way, then reinstall plug and start normally. A small amount of blue smoke is normal from the last of the oil burning off but won't persist more than a minute or so. If you leave the plug in and start it, it may sputter briefly until the oil burns off, which is OK too. I prefer not to take a chance on fouling the plug because the next use may be an emergency and you'd want to take off running. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

That is correct, almost. I put in way too much (got confused about how cc related to ml) and a spray came shooting out when I rotated the engine with the plug out. Hopefully that is just a mess rather than a problem.

Reply to
Toller

A "cc" (cubic centimeter) IS a "ml" (milliliter).

Remember the adage: "A pint's a pound the world around."

Reply to
Heybub

Which is easy to remember, but not actually true.

Reply to
Goedjn