Genie/Homelink learning question?

Quick (hopefully) question for anyone with an overhead door (Genie) moving code opener and an in-car Homelink system:
Just picked up a new car with this ability and neither Genie or Homelink can get it to learn properly. Following the steps it all seems to work and blink as expected. But, when complete it won't activate the opener.
Has anyone had this problem before? If so, what might you have done to overcome it?
Advice greatfully appreciated. Thanks;

I've got an 06 Pilot and an 07 Camry and can't get either of them to work with my Genie ProMax opener. They work fine with the neighborhood gate.