Genie garage door receiver - 9 dip switch vs. 12 dip switch

My old Genie radio receiver (old 9 dip-switch version) was invaded by fire ants and stopped working. So - I replaced it with a 12 dip-switch version (after being assured by a tech at Genie that it would work.) After making the first 9 switches match the old 9 switchs, I can't get it to work. I've tried a variety of combinations with the final 3 new switchs and get no joy. Any garage door guru's here?

Jay

Hi, How did you replace the switch? Was there roo for it? Try 9 position counting from left end or right end looking at it. If it is on/off type then try setting the switch exactly opposite from the old one.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You will liklely need a new remote too. I had to replace the receiver once after it got zapped by lightning, new style receiver came with 2 new remotes, pretty cheap. this was perhaps 10 years ago. replacing the remote control saved the hassle of replacing the opener.

Reply to
bob haller

Will glady try that....

You will liklely need a new remote too. I had to replace the receiver once after it got zapped by lightning, new style receiver came with 2 new remotes, pretty cheap. this was perhaps 10 years ago. replacing the remote control saved the hassle of replacing the opener.

I'm trying to avoid that - there are two garage doors and a gate on the driveway. Also, I use three-button remotes, so it gets expensive to replace everything. But that might be the answer....

Did you try cleaning the old unit? Take it apart and clean with rubbing alcohol and blow with canned air duster. Be very careful not to bend or disturb the shape of any of the wire coils or antenna!

It is possible the switches Up and Down (off and on) positions are reversed one to the other. DUD... on one may look like UDU... on the other depending on the orientation of the switch bank. Look for on/off markings on both remotes. Switch 1 on one unit may be on the right side on one unit and on the left side of the other etc.

I would try setting the switches on both the receiver and remotes to an easy combination like all off or all on. If that works then change to a more complex setting.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

Good advice all around but the most important & simplest check is....

do the listed operational frequencies on the new receiver and the old remotes match?

I know that some of "newer" Genie remotes have a mode switch to choose between 9 or 12 operation.

I think now that you have a 12 "only" style receiver (the receiver does not have a mode select switch?) you have to have:

1) 12 only remotes or switchable remotes 2) matching frequencies for the remotes & the receiver

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt