Generator wiring options

Page 2 of 3

I was helping a freind of mine do some wiring in his trailer. We were about to cut a branch circuit in the bedroom. I suggested turning off the power. He thought he had. Turns out the panel didn't have main breaker, and he'd only turned off the power to the water heater.
Plumber came to do some work on my water heater, in a rented shop. I suggested we turn off the power. He looked surprised. He had flipped a switch next the the WH. The only thing he did was turn off the heat tape for the pipes over head. I know, I'm the guy who put that switch on.
Hey, do what you want with the transfer swich. The two stories above are real life, I was there and saw both of them happen. Are you 100 % sure that you, relatives, and anyone using your equipment will open the main? Do they know which one is the main?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

If they are that stupid what are they doing screwing with it.
"It's dark in here. And cold. I saw him do it once. Here, it's like this.... bring that candle closer so I can see to fill the gasoline.......I know the gascan and generator are in the cellar here some where."
Shall I give you some more narrative?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Van Chocstraw wrote:

Unfortunately not everyone leads *your* life. They may live with others, children may be involved, visitors may be involved, there can be emergency situations, people get sick or tired or even incapacitated etc. Thats why standard safety practices were devised.
Linemen work 16 - 18 hurs for many days when storms strike, often in nasty weather.
give them a break and do the job RIGHT, its not that expensive and a positive at home resale time
Stormin Mormon wrote:

If the two chaps you chronicled are not snappy enough to actually TEST for voltage before they lay hands on the wire, they are, perhaps, candidates for a lineman's job that so many worry about.
As for the odd person knowing which circuit breaker is which, they're labeled. And not with some strange acronym like "WH" that stands for "Heat Tape." That said, and as you so ably point out, absolute reliance on a properly-labeled circuit breaker is also a source of disaster.
[snip]

If you connect your generator to the power grid you're interfering with THEIR system without their knowledge or permission.
Gary H wrote:

Agreed. And if it's crucial to them, they might consider protecting their infrastructure. This same power company puts fences around their substations and seals on their meters and signs that say "Don't dig here."
HeyBub wrote:

They do. Thats why there are specific requirements about interlocking which are enforced by electrical codes and standard practice. There really is no way to justify your really bizarre thinking about disregard for human life no matter how hard you try.
George wrote:

Bah! Neither the electrical code nor standard practice have any enforcement mechanism. They're like the Ten Commandments: there is no penalty attached for violation.
And just what is my bizarre thinking? That power companies should provide interlocks to their customers that have generators? The 'phone company used to provide interference suppression devices for customer-owned telephones, ostensibly to protect their circuits from non-conforming equipment. Many water companies provide backflow preventers to keep their product pure.
The power company already installs lightning arrestors, reclosures, and ground wires on almost every pole - again to protect their equipment.
It's the concept I'm arguing.
Tell you what's really bizarre: your concluding that I have no regard for human life. You didn't find that in my post. In fact, just the opposite. I suggest that if the power company DID provide interlock devices, the chance for injury would be lessened.

well at home resale a illegal interconnect will be red flagged by any decent home inspector
wrote Re Re: Generator wiring options:

And the customers have the generators because the power companies (PCs) cannot provide sufficient reliability. That's sometimes not the PCs fault, e.g. weather; but then the PCs should be willing to provide the interlock if the customer provides the genset.

I like the way you think.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

there are standards and safety regulations for very good reasons.......
The NEC is there to save future lives.
wrote Re Re: Generator wiring options:

Yes, thank God they have *finally* specified which direction the ground prong is supposed to point on a 120v outlet.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

bob haller wrote:

Who is there to save past lives? *snicker*
TDD
Mormons, doing genealogy, and ordinances in the temples.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I save at The First Bank Of Mormon. *snicker*
TDD
HeyBub wrote:

And you know this how? (really think about it)

Every water company I am familiar with requires the *end user* to install backflow preventers per their specification just like *ALL* electrical suppliers require isolation and interlocking of alternate supplies.

No, you are arguing that you want to do it your way and everyone else should pay for some elaborate protection system.

Right, thats why you wrote this:
"Certainly. Chances are, if a lineman IS killed, you didn't know him. So, ask yourself the next time you're standing in the long line at the movie or restaurant.... "
So are you the bored housewife I think you are who writes nonsense to amuse yourself?

. During storm damage conditions it may or may not be possible for power company staff to install temporary short circuits on downed lines.
With an attitude like that no wonder there are problems in society!
If I want to sneeze in your face I should have every right to do so! I'll shoot my gun off anywhere I want; passing motorist and pedestrians should install metal plate armour in their vehicles and wear bullet proof clothing. If want to I'll piss in any river, pond, water supply, swimming pool; to hell with the fish or health of other humans! Fireworks? Sure fire them off anywhere you want; who cares about grass fires or someone else's property. If I want to drive 100 mph in a school or pedestrian zone I'll do so. Sex. Yes anywhere any time with anyone; and ignore catching (or transmitting) AIDS or other STDs! Vaccinations. Don't bother to sterilise his/her arm; just stick in the needle! Boating? If I want to cut across the bow of another boat .............................. THEY should avoid me ................ Oops: CRASH!!!!! ......... HEEEELP! Hey can anyone lend me a life jacket .................... !.
Wow! Seven galons. My little Coleman has a one gal tank. For winter power cuts, I run it for an hour or so in the evening to run the furnace. It has been a while, but I don't think I ever totally fill the one galon tank. Use oil lamps and flash lights for light.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus