General computer question

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 11:37:37 -0600, Mark Lloyd

I didn't misunderstand. Virtually ANY mouse will work on either PS2 or USB - a PS2 mouse is recognized by the bios on bootup - a USB mouse is recognized by the operating system and the USB port drivers negotiate with the mouse for regognition.

If used as PS2 they need to be attached at bootup and recognized by the bios - if used as USB they can be plugged in at any time and are recognized by the USB port drivers in the OS. It can take up to several minutes for a computer to recognize and access a newly installed USB mouse or keyboard

A usb port IS mechanically more robust tan a PS2 connector - but I've seen both damaged to the point they were unuseable. The big advantage of USB is if you have ONE available you can connect your keyboard, mouse, printer, scanner, sound device, and external drive (using a hub) - while if you damage either the PS2 mouse or keyboard plug you are TOAST.
On 12/24/2013 4:37 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

That sounds like the problem I had with the Cirque touchpad. When windows booted, it changed the mode. The kvm switch to linux got all confused. And all the cool features quit working.
On 12/24/2013 4:37 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I have an external ps2 keyboard/mouse to usb converter that seems to work well. Belkin F5U119-E
Have no idea what happens when you add a KVM to the mix.
On 12/24/2013 10:05 PM, mike wrote:
[snip]

It should if this is really a protocol converter (I think it is), not just a plug adapter like the little ones that seem to come with most mice now.
--
Currently: (Wednesday December 25, 2013 12:00 AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd

You'd be better off just running the 'internet machine' as a virtual machine on the same machine as the business system. The virtual machine can be reinstalled anytime, just like real hardware. See VirtualBox.