Generac transfer switch burnout if main power returns in brownout condition

We live in a rural community which has the typical power outages. A few weeks back, a storm ripped through Ohio on it's way to the East Coast. We lost power for almost 5 days. The Generac kicked in perfectly, but when the power was returned at 85 volts, the transfer switch chattered to death!!! In talking with the local dealer, this happens all the time. He mentioned that virtually hundreds of people complained about this problem during the "big blow" of a few weeks ago.
Does anyone have a fix here? I think it odd that the leader in backup generators who prides themselves on Industry Leadership, has let this one go. Plus, I hear that batteries on the units may explode due to the way they maintain a charge. Four blew here in N. Ohio........
-------------------------------------
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 342653 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 27, 1:27 pm, mcavotta_at_lifeclinic_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (mcavotta) wrote:

Exploding Batteries-urban myth, gee is that bs by a Honda guy. My Generac works. I wonder what does it take to EXPLODE a acid battery, maybe 220v? No I think it would boil. To Explode a battery you need spark. And who you talkin to, a Honda dealer?
Add pictures here
✖

I am not sure what you are calling an "urban myth", but I have seen the results of a FEW over-charged auto batteries that are producing hyrochloric acid when there is a spark from connecting/dis-connecting. It isn't a pretty sight, nor is it a myth.
Hank
Add pictures here
✖

Batteries are filled with sulfuric acid, Hank. What explodes is HYDROGEN. Remember the Hindenberg zeppelin in NJ?
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
mcavotta wrote:

Try cutting your main breaker, duh.
--
Van Chocstraw
mcavotta wrote:

I never had that problem with the Generac systems I've installed. If it is an issue and there is no low main voltage safety interlock designed into the transfer switch, it a simple fix with an over the counter module that can be purchased from any HVAC supply house. Someone with a technical handyman skill set should be able to modify your system. ICM manufactures a single phase motor protection module that would be perfect choice to monitor the voltage on the mains.
http://www.icmcontrols.com/products/product.php?prod_pkU
The best thing about it is that it's an off the shelf and commonly available product.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖