Generac Generator EXL5500 start problems

I have been using this electric start generator for about 2 years on and off, typically once a month. Last time I tried to start it it sounded like the battery was close to dead, but it was not. It was very hard to turn. In fact, using the rope it was a killer to get it started an I managed to do so only a few times. It turns well with the spark plug removed but very hard with it attached. Too much compression to turn. I read somewhere that there is a decompression valve deep in the crankcase. Could it be anything else. Once it runs, it runs good. But by now, its almost impossible to start.

Batteries have to be tested like a cars battery for load to know its good. What is voltage, try jumping it.

Jumping won't do it. Also, I cannot start it with the pull-start. The resistance is so high that it will not pull unless I relife the compression by taking the spark plug out.
Glia wrote:

Can be caused by "hydraulic lock" if raw fuel is getting into the cylinder (aka flooding) during periods of shutdown.
Jim

If it is "hydraulic lock" it should clear after taking out spark plug, turning over a few times, and reinstalling spark plug. Have you tried this? I'll assume its still hard to turn over once sparkplug has gone back in.
Have you tried removing the electrical load? That should make it turn over easier, perhaps even easy enough so you could live with a bad decompression valve (if that's what the problem is).
Dan

Dan: I am trying to start without any electric load connected is that is what you refer to. Is there a way to disengage the actual coil from the generator? I can turn the flywheel when I remove the pullstart relatively easily when the spark plug is removed. So of course does the starter motor. However, when I put the spark-plug back in it is next to impossible to turn either using the motor that locks up or by pulling on the string like a mad-man. Harry
What others are hinting: Remove the spark plug, and then give a couple yanks on the pull rope. See if any gasoline or oil sprays out of the spark plug hole. It's possible liquid is getting into the cylinder. After three or four yanks, put the spark plug back in, and see if it pulls easier.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Why wont a car battery jump it, I jump my generac. I saw one with stuck float, it flooded the motor with gas so bad gas shot out 15ft when we removed the spark plug, if oil level is high and stinks like gas its possible, then the oil is no good. Do you use the fuel shutoff valve when not in use. Unless the battery was plugged into the maintener for 2 years its likely trash.
replying to Glia, Michael Olson wrote: Check your valve adjustment, if they back off the valves will not open far enough to allow easy crank. I've seen it on a few, find the adjustments and remove the valve cover to check them.
Glia wrote:

Your compression relief valve is not working.
--
Claude Hopper :)

? ?

How hard is this to fix? Is this in the crankcase and requires complete disassembly?
Glia wrote:

Disclaimer: I'm not familiar with your engine, but Claude may well be right.
May not represent your specific engine but there is a .pdf of the assembly here: http://www.gen-parts.com/pdf2/0D1752.pdf page 2.3-7 (53)
Jim

I had a generac 5500 and have a generac 7500 exl, neither that I know have compression relief, What you are doing makes no sence to me, You say you cant jump the starter, well you can, sure the rope is hard to pull but ive done it, whats wrong with the starter, the battery is likely shot, jump it. Its direct drive to the gen.
The compression relief is a small assembly which pushes open the exhaust valve very briefly during the compression stroke. There is some kind of centrifugal sensor, so it only works under some RPM. Been a long time since I've serviced one of these. Yes, the compression release is in the crankcase. And you have to do a lot of disassembly to get at it. The compression release doesn't work if you turn the engine backwards. Makes me wonder if the rope is wound wrong. No, come to think of it, the ball clutch wouldn't let you do that.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

One more shot at the situation: 1. Pullstart comes to a screeting halt because of compression. With lots of pull one can move it further but not with enough speed to start. 2. Jump start from car works albeit with the engine running on the car the lights dim thats how much the starter needs to draw. It too stalls on every other attempt because it is to darn hard to move.
3. Spark plug removed, the crank moves easily and there is no oil or anything coming out of the cylinder. 4. Once the unit starts, it runs fine. So there must be something that makes turning the crank hard just during startup.
Glia wrote:

You've been told what the problem is. You've been told that it's very difficult to get to. It's obviously way over your head to fix it yourself. Take the generator and pay to have it serviced.

.
If it was to hard the gen starter would not start it, would it. Lights dimming on car are a sign the gen battery is bad, that little starter can only use so much current, its a single cilinder motor. Mine has no compression release device.