GE washer won't agitate

Our GE washer is about 20 years old, and the faithful ol' thing has developed its first serious problem. It fills with water fine, but when I pull the knob to begin the agitation cycle it does not agitate. Instead it makes a noise that's a bit grindy.
Coincidentally, I noticed that the water pump leaks. That couldn't relate to the above problem, could it?
Must be the night for washers to die. Mine did the exact same thing tonight. I have a Kitchen aid washer and I took her apart tonight to find the "Drive motor to transmission coupling broken". That may be your trouble to looks like the part is about $15.00. So I will have to make a trip to the parts store tomorrow. I would order it off the website below, but the wife is not going to have the washer all apart in the kitchen for days. Here is the link for the part if you find yours is broke the same way.
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID (55
--
Thank you
RA

< snipped-for-privacy@advancedbionutrition.com> wrote in message

There is a spline on the agitate shaft and one inside the plastic agitator. One or both are most likely stripped out. This problem along with a leaking pump and the age of the machine call for a new washer.
Whirlpool offers a Super Capacity washer for under $300. I think this is one of the best buys out there.
snipped-for-privacy@advancedbionutrition.com wrote:

Hi,
If it leaked water onto the clutch assembly for a while and the clutch assembly isn't driving the belt and transmission....yes it could.

Could be the clutch is worn out, belt is tired, gears inside the tranny are bad, spline inside the top of the agitator is ground out.
http://www.applianceaid.com/gewash.html Some "older" GE washer helps, tips, etc.
Thanks, Jeff, that was good advice and a great site reference. -Al
snipped-for-privacy@advancedbionutrition.com wrote in

I'm having a problem with a G.E. Profile washer that doesn't agitate. It doesn't seem to have a mechanical time, but an electronic control circuit card instead. I have been able to apply power to the motor and make it agitate, but the control board never puts power on these lines itself. I do not have a schematic of the control board or I could probably fix it. Has anyone else seen a washer like this before? It is about three years old.
M.A. wrote:

and
lines
probably
three
Hi,
And you likely will not find one.

Is the washer running and not agitating....or dead in the agitate mode?....filling water come in ok?

Just a name and not a model#.
There -usually- is a tech sheet inside the consol that may have diagnostic tips.