GE Microwave/Convection Problem

I have a GE Profile JVM1190 microwave/convection combo that will microwave for a few minutes and then take a break: it totally powers off. After a few minutes of rest, the power comes back on. Is there some kind of thermal cutout in this thing that may be flaky? Also, it's on a dedicated 20A breaker - it's not tripping, but maybe there's something going on with the breaker? Any suggestions welcome...
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Scott Dunham) wrote in message

Hi,
Is the cooling fan inside the unit working? There is often at least 2 thermostats that can shut down the unit if it overheats. A loose power wire would/could do the same thing as you have indicated as well. Loose/burnt connection on the smart board is possible as well :(

That is -part- of a model#.
jeff.
It's a JVM1190AY, and I'm REALLY not looking forward to taking the sucker off the wall to poke around inside, but it sounds like maybe that's what it needs. I think the fan is working, but I'll give it a hard listen to make sure. The power cord is probably fine - it's new, and so is the outlet it's plugged into. I'll take the hints and see what I can find. Thanks!
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (jeff) wrote in message

Scott Dunham wrote in message ...

As Jeff said, that is only part of a model number. You can read tips for locating the model and serial number tag on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site linked at the bottom of the page.

More than likely there is a problem which is causing a thermal protector to open and shut the unit down before damage is done to one of more of its components. One such device which could cause your symptom is the thermal protector located on the magnetron tube.
GE Microwave ovens have had a string of magnetron problems which required a rework on the unit (or total replacement) to correct. You might consider contacting an area GE *authorized factory service depot* with the *complete* model and serial number off your microwave to see if your model in one which is affected.
If it's not, checking that the internal cooling fan is operational may be required but chances are pretty good that the magnetron tube may be damaged as well (if it is not the only cause). I would suggest you discontinue use until it can be looked at to avoid any further damage to components!
JMO
If it is less than 5 years old, the magnetron tube itself may be covered by an extended limited warranty (see the following link) in which case, you'd need to have an authorized factory service depot perform the work to get it replaced under a warranty if it is needed.
Limited Warranties http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/limited.shtml
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=+GE+microwave
=~~~~~~
There's a label inside the door frame with the model/serial info - I'll get it all and track down a service depot. Sounds like it needs a good hard looking-at, and I'm not that motivated. :-) Thanks very much for the advice - I appreciate it!

Let us know how you eventually make out.