gas water heater frequent recycle

The first five or six months in our new home, whenever we took a shower or washed dishes or whatever, the water heater (gas) would click on for about ten minutes or so, in three minute intervals. More and more lately, over the last few months, its been clicking on for maybe ten minutes but in more and more erratic intervals, like sometimes a short

20 second interval, and then like a 2 minute one, and then 6 - 15 second intervals in a row. Really weird. We've tried messing around with the temperature a bit but it doesn't seem to affect it. Any ideas?
Reply to
Ted Griffin

Does the control look like:

(That deals with a recall. Those controls don't usually cycle frequently; they have a wide hysteresis. If you have a Power Vent or Direct Vent a different control would be used.)

Is the heater still under warranty?

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Should still be under warranty. Get the model and serial # and call the manufacturer. Sounds like a bad valve/control unit, which is pretty easy to replace.

Reply to
trader4

If you still get hot water when you need it, I wouldn't worry about it. You may just be paying too much attention.

Reply to
PipeDown

warranty covers parts only usually:( Its a PIA changing the thermostat. need wrench big enough to fit over thermostat size

Reply to
hallerb