Gas Water Heater

Page 2 of 3

actually your better off at install replacing whatever valve there is with a ball type, for best draining

And the drain valve is not nearly as important on a gas unit as on an electric

MAJOR SNIP
why is blanket statement? "Tankless is out of the question for this application."
Technical or financial issues?
On 2/22/2012 10:45 PM, DD_BobK wrote:

It simply does not pay and then there is the issue of the vent size.
On 2/23/2012 9:32 AM, Pointer wrote:

What issue of vent size? As someone pointed out there are newer designs that use standard schedule 40 PVC for exhaust.
Vent-agra. When size matters.
It simply does not pay and then there is the issue of the vent size.

Cool.... makes sense. I investigated as well but bigger propane line, unit cost & others were a killer. Plus I figured some people would take "Hollywood" showers and my propane bill would sky rocket.
Decreasing water temp is Mother Nature telling you......... "shower's over".
But to answer you original question Bradford White..... I got 17 years out of the first one and just replaced it.
I was jammed for time, couldn't procure the specialized unit or do the install myself ..... so I jobbed it out.
75 gallon propane, high elevation unit $1200 incuding tax installation (threaded ball valves on hot & cold lines) $500 :( ~$100 per year .....
Oh well not cheap but by the time I drove & did it myself it would have taken me three days and $100 in gas.
cheers Bob

Yes, that's the recommendation I couldn't remember around where I live... Bradford White. As I said I went with "State" but I can't compare to Bradford White since I never had one. The State model I have has brass drain valves. The prior water heaters I had (brand??) did not and after like 10 years, one cracked and spewed mist everywhere. It wasn't pretty. I think I had a State in another house long time ago and that was fine as far as I remember.
Whatever you order, just make sure parts are easy to come by as you might need service some day and getting the parts quickly will make life a lot easier for you.
On 2/23/2012 12:28 AM, Doug wrote:

Thanks. Rather shocked at a quote yesterday of over $1400 for providing and installing a 40 gel gas unit on a simple swap out. Trying others.

try some big box stores with install, 1400 bucks is way too expensive

I like my little hardware store. Great prices, and usually cheaper on select products, they have third party installers. I bought my rheem tank for less than $400 . A plumber will double price of unit.
Greg
On 2/23/2012 1:44 PM, gregz wrote:

I need an installer in FL. 10 years ago I would have done it myself as I have done an A/C system and two water heaters.
Pointer wrote:

You can usually find a day laborer for $10-12 per hour in the parking lot of the box store. If his hand fits a wrench, and with your supervision, you should be out for 20-30 bucks for the install. We're talking two water connections with flexible hoses, and one gas connection with a similar flexible hose.
Seriously, the intellect to install a water heater is trivial; the labor to jack the thing around not so much.
On the other hand, if you live in a jurisdiction that requires permits, inspections, and a licensed, union plumber, it might be more.
Don't forget the earthquake strap.
I wonder which unit? http://www.nextag.com/40-gallon-gas-water-heater/stores-html And how much of that $1400 was markup and labor?
You might be paying more for a 40 gel unit. Most heaters only do water.
Thanks. Rather shocked at a quote yesterday of over $1400 for providing and installing a 40 gel gas unit on a simple swap out. Trying others.

I'm thinking $800 to $1100 and if really just a swap out on a first floor... probably closer to the $800-$900 range. Let's face it the plumbers want to eat too <grin>.
On 2/23/2012 3:33 PM, Doug wrote:

In a futile effort to justify his price he stated that he wanted to retire some day.
On 2/23/2012 7:41 PM, Pointer wrote:

As mentioned AO Smith makes the Vertex which all things being equal I would have installed. The list price is close to 2k but it's a much better design.
If you like to sweat plumbing then it is an easy DIY project. If you have to pay someone, it will cost around $400 to $700. You might be able to "bargain" by telling the repair man that you will have the tank drained before they get there.
Best.
On 2/23/2012 8:33 PM, ng_reader wrote:

Have done it in the past but in this case it is not worth it due to age, rebates(need licensed plumber), second floor, etc.

I might be doing the wrong thing but I buy the cheapest and run it at as low a water temp as I can get away with. The only thing where high heat is useful is in automatic dishwasher and I buy those with water heating capability. I used to run the water heaters at high temps and it seemed like no matter how much I paid for them it caused them to rust out far faster. After switching to buy cheap and keep the heat low they all seem to last fairly long. High heat also seems to generate huge amounts of mineral deposits in the bottom. Low heat seems to have solved that problem too.
DO NOT BUY SEARS in my area are bunch scumb bags....