gas stove problem - 2 burner don't light

Hello, We have a whirlpool gas range (from 1999) with sealed burners and have had this problem for several months in which 2 of the burners don't light up when the knob is turned on.
We do hear the clicking sound and the burners light up w/ matches.
We have the electric igniters.
Is there a way to know if the problem is the igniter or something inside is dirty?
This problem has been very annoying and we haven't gotten much useful advice from the manufacturer.
THANKS a lot for any help!
ap wrote:

Seems simple enough- you've air & fuel, but no ignition where needed. Could be caused by many things. I'd suggest you call your local gas company and ask them what to do next.
ap wrote:

Hi,
Model#?
Bad spark module, cracked ignitors/electrodes, broken/chewed on wires for the electrods/ignitors, no power from the switches to the spark module are possible trouble makers. The acual cause would have to be investiaged.
Something that may help... http://www.applianceaid.com/help_spark_moduals.html
clean the burners carefully, gunk builds up and shorts the ignitors
that is usually the problem especially under the burner where it contact the range surface.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Can you lift the whole surface of the stove and see the wires from the igniter to the burner? On my stove the insulation on one of the wires burned through. I just moved the wire away from the metal bracket the spark was jumping to. Turn off the lights at night to observe.

The gas much reach the spark to ignite. Check that there is no gunk built up where the gas would flow to the sparking igniter. In some cases, one sparking igniter will take care of two burners. Go take a peek underneath.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

There are usually a few smaller holes for gas which progress down the burner to a place near the ignitor. If you hear the click and are able to start the burner with a matches, probably some of those small "start-up" holes are clogged. If you can see them, find a very thin wire to push into and out of them to see if you can clear them. You can also test those holes with a match and the gas on to see if they are working. Of course I think you said something about "sealed burners," so I don't know how much of this is possible. --Phil
We have this problem every time my wife cleans the stove. The anode lead gets wet and the spark "skins" over the surface of the ceramic insulation and the burners won't ignite. There's also a problem with corrosion building up on the burner grounding area and the spark gets goofy. Also be careful trying to lift the burner assembly. On some models the feed lines can't be moved and are very brittle, they'll crack if you try to move the top. My appliance parts guys had a good laugh when I had to replace two of our lines. They knew exactly how I'd messed up. Richard . Phil Munro wrote: