gas-resistant glue?

Does anyone know of a readily-available glue that's resistant to gas?

The top of the breather cap (not the main cap) on my 5 gallon gas can broke - it doesn't look like they're available anywhere, and it seems a shame to dump the whole can (which is less than a year old).

The sides of the cap (with the threads) are still OK, and a 2 liter coke bottle cap fits over the top almost perfectly, so I could in theory glue them together, except whatever glue I use will be subject to gas vapor...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I think your biggest problem is going to be finding an adhesive that adheres to the can itself (you didn't mention what material that is, however, so I am unable to answer that part of your question).

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Any epoxy will work just fine; I just recently patched the seam of the spout of the small (but predating the stinkin' safety cans that are an abomination) transfer can.

Interestingly, I used it for a repair on the upper radiator end cap on an old '56 Dodge pick'em up. It lasted several years; was still going when I sold it.

--

Reply to
dpb

What material is the breather cap? Forget gluing a soda cap. They are made from a plastic with very low surface energy. Very hard to get ANYTHING to stick to that stuff.

My other question would be, where did you get a gas can in the last couple of years with a breather cap?

Reply to
salty

While not really a glue, there are several products at almost any of the chain automotive stores. Advance Auto has several. Look for some RTV silicone adheasive or Permatex sealer. Should be able to find some for about $ 5 or $ 6 per tube. Seems to be almost as much as some cans I have bought. Maybe not now as many seem to have some kind of new enviroment spout.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If plastic, probably polyethylene based and tough for glue to stick to. If pieces overlap, epoxy will probably work if mechanics are part of seal, e.g. groves on each side to lock in epoxy.

I just tossed a plastic can - gave it to neighbor to use up the 2-cycle gas as I had a new 4-cycle mower. Can leaked fumes on breather cap and I had 2 cans with 2-cycle mix which would take forever to use up in weed wacker.

New plastic cans mandated here are a PITA with push in dispensers and spill more gas than old. They don't have bleed caps.

Reply to
Frank

I don't know my plastics, I'm afraid, so other than being able to say "it's plastic"... :-) It seems very similar to the soda cap plastic actually.

Rats...

I'm pretty sure it was Home Depot (the wife picked it up, but I'll try and remember to ask her and see if she remembers tonight)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yes - the threads on the inside of the soda cap aren't continuous, and there are vertical ribs (for finger grip) on the outside of the breather cap remains, so there's quite a bit for glue to key to. It's a tight fit all by itself - the glue would really just be there to make a gas-tight seal more than anything.

Yeah, this one suffered from crappy moulding I think - there was a little ridge of plastic left over on the top of the can where the breather cap goes, so tightening the cap down put a huge amount of pressure right in the middle of the cap top, eventually cracking it.

I just mix up a tank's worth of 2-cycle in a straight-sided jug whenever I need it (some of my stuff wants a 24:1 mix and some 40:1)

Yeah, so I heard. Even the one I have is annoying; rather than a separate sealed main cap and a filler spout cap (as my last can had), there's just one unit and this stupid little plastic disc which fits inside the filler spout cap to (hopefully) seal things tight during transport. I've lost count of how many times the disc has stuck inside the filler spout cap when taking it off, and then fallen into the dirt so that I've had to clean it :(

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I got a real honest-to-Glub Jerry can off eBay so I wouldn't have to deal with this crap...

nate

Reply to
N8N

Try fitting your gas mower cap on your gas can they may be identical.

I found this out by accidently swapping them

Reply to
hallerb

Most of the mower caps have a small pin hole in them This lets in air so the gas will come out. The gas can top does not.

A fellow at work accidently switched his. His mower would run for a short time and quit. He could crank it up and it would run and quit again. Swapped them back and all was fine again.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

My Ace had Gastank Repair glue for my cracked snowblower tank, an auto store would have Dow or Permatex products that may work, JB weld an epoxy should work also.

Reply to
ransley

Try Seal-all.

comes in yellow tube. Found on ebay. I've not tried it for gasoline applications, but the label sounds good. I've used it to put a chunk of wood back together (decorative trim at the church) and looked OK, there.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why not just use the coke bottle cap?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Wrong diameter - I mean that the coke bottle cap is a good fit over what's left of the original breather cap, not the same size as it. I've been keeping an eye out just in case I saw something that just fits, but it'd have to be quite narrow, and even then it'd likely have the wrong threads. Expoy currently looks like the best bet...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

PC-7. Probably PC-11. Fantastic stuff. Try to get the two 4 oz cans. Ace Hardware has that. HD and Loews only sell stupid litte containers. Use some somewhere else and soak it in gasoline and see how it does befor using on your can.

Reply to
mm

replying to salty, Kent wrote: U can make them. There are kits on ebay that work great. The are the snap caps that used to be on the cans. You drill and 1/2" hole up top away from the fill line, even in the handle if you have to then push them in. The go in hard, but they go.. Look on you tube.

Reply to
Kent