Gas Meter Calibration ?

Hello:
With natural gas for home heating being so expensive now, was wondering a bit about the calibration of our gas meter.
a. How well do these things hold calibration ?
b. If they do "drift" some, is there a recognized tendency for them to show more or less usage ?
c. What's a good rule of thumb regarding how often to request the gas company to re-calibrate them ? Do they have to honor your request (by Law) ?
Thanks, Bob
They only fail in the low direction. If it starts reading too low the gas company will calculate based on typical useage and temperature and send you the bill. Don't bother calling them. They will just treat you like a moron.

moron.<<<
, or they will just replace the meter which will work to their advantage, not yours. RM~
PS, I know from experience, they replaced one of mine which hadn't been replaced in over 25 years. WOW !
Rob Mills wrote:

I only use NG for heating, so every April the gas company replaced my "NR" meter (it's on the door tag). ;-) Since there was zero use during the previous month, they are positive it was Non Registering. Then I get to call every fall to see if they can turn the gas back on.
Finally got wise... now turn it off end of March for the summer ("summer shunt"), and save $25. $50 total monthly base fees - $25 turn on fee in November.
Last summer I set up two 55ga barrels to hold washer and bath water, to run the commode and minor lawn watering. Cut water use in half, the water dept replaced my meter last month, just love it...
28 years, 6th gas meter, 4th water meter (one was a pilot electronic reader program), and same electric meter.
-larry / dallas
Gas pressure usually don't change much unless you get dirt in the valve. A slight variation won't change performance much. I never heard of anyone calling them just to have the calibration checked. I'm pretty sure they'd charge you unless you have a service contract that covers it.

show
Law)
My 'neighbor' works for consumers gas. He waits for the normally schedualled reading and as soon as the guy has left the driveway, he unbolts the meter and put it back on backwards. I have actually seen the meter run in reverse and yes, they do refund you.

Pretty stupid gas company. My electric company came through a few years ago and installed electronic meters that send the usage right back to the main office. Then they laid off all the meter readers.

I've complained about ridiculously high readings with virtually no response from the gas company. Waste of time.
John Churchill Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University Author of www.renovation101.com
If your gas valve pressure is correct and put a timer on the furnace, you should be able to come close with a little math. A cubit foot of natural gas is about 1,024 BTUs. If you have an 80,000BTUH input furnace, and it runs for one hour, divide that by 1024 to get the cubic feet.

Sounds like a very good idea, if one wants to know.

I think we have that now, but they have to drive down the street -- I thought -- to read the electric meters. ( OTOH, maybe that was 10 years ago. If the cable company can tell when one customer buys pay per view, maybe the electric company can tell what I'm using without driving down the street??????)
A long time ago, my electric meter reader would walk over and write down the reading. Then they started just pulling into the driveway and scanning the meter from the vehicle. Now they don't even come around. The meter sends a signal through the power lines, back to their HQ 20 miles away.
wrote:

main

Those guys really have a cushy job now. I wonder if the electric company knows about this.

They don't have any job anymore. The electric company sent them around to install the new meters and when they were all done, they got laid off.

and installed electronic meters that send the usage right back to the main office. Then they laid off all the meter reader <<<
My gas meter which is in the back yard has a transmitter on it that the meter reader can read from the street in front of house. The transmitter was installed about 25 years ago because we had a Chow dog at the time that hated meter readers. The dog passed away soon after the transmitter was installed but they still read the meter from the street. Guess they are afraid we will replace the Chow with a Pit Bull. RM~
PS, don't know what powers the transmitter, don't see any solar cells and as far as I know they haven't changed anything since it was installed.

I don' know about all states, but we have gas at work. We got a notice that the meter would be replaced as required by law after 10 years. This is an industrial meter but check local regulations. Chances are, you utility has a web page with all the information you need.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

UPDATE I just saw the letter on my desk. It is every 7 years as required by the Department of Telecommunications and Energy. That is in MA, your local laws may differ.