Garden Shed

I have a decent-sized shed on my property, and am concerned about skunks living underneath it.

It is sitting on top of cinder blocks, and some long pieces of wood. I am not sure just what type of wood, etc., as I can't see much underneath it.

It is best to just leave it open (opening is small enough that my 5 lb. Yorkie can't get underneath it), or enclose it with more cinder blocks.

I am not too worried about termites as the shed is sitting on top of gravel.

I have been searching the internet and am still not sure what to do.

Suggestions please.

Thanks.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Is your Yorkie a standard or an attack Yorkie? You can tell the later by the six inch fangs.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Put screen around the bottom

Reply to
ransley

As to screening, I was told by my local Animal Control to use the 1/2" hardware cloth screening. They told me to attach it to the structure, mine was a concrete stoop where the skunk were digging under the stoop. Then, and most importantly, the hardware cloth should go vertically down underground about 1/2 foot and then

90 degrees out for at lease a foot or 2. I did this. I didn't want to drill and screw the hardware cloth into the concrete, so I just made a 90 degree piece, 6" vertical and about a foot horizontal. The soil held it nicely in place. The next day, the skunk dug in about 4 different places and when encountering the hardware cloth, moved on. Solved the problem; that was probably 15 years ago.
Reply to
Art Todesco

But make sure it is vacant at the time, and also put metal fabric down far enough so they won't just dig under it to get back in.

Reply to
aemeijers

Exactly what I did to keep the chipmunks from digging under my 4 Seasons Sunroom.

Reply to
willshak

Kate wrote in news:hqc143$jfg$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Something to think about....if you have racoons in the area, they could bite and claw their way thru the siding. That's what they did to my shed. They also tried it on the house, but the house shingles are stronger. But they did manage to do a bit of damage to the surface.

Reply to
Marina

This is an excellent idea. I called my local friendly Ace store and they have it.

Many thanks!

Reply to
Kate

On the other hand if you leave them alone they'll leave you alone. I've had skunks living under my shed for years. They mind their own business and for all it's worth make better neighbors than some of the people in the area.

Yorkie will eventually figure it out, both my dogs have been sprayed a couple of times. They leave the skunks alone now.

I live in an area with lot's of wildlife. I'm as likely to find a bear or a deer in my yard as a skunk.

The critters were here before me and will still be here when I'm gone. I made a deal with Mother Nature before I started building. I'll only take what I need and leave the rest for her. She rewards me constantly.

Sorry to say this but you people living in manicured HOA ghettos, knee deep in every poison available don't have a clue.

LdB

Reply to
LdB

Don't skunks transmit rabies and other diseases? They used to do a good job tearing up my yard before I was forced to use grub control poison. Not something I prefer living near me and I'm sure that's the way most feel.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

Any evidence of skunks?!

- eating grubs or worms in the lawn

- disappearing pet food

- both grubs and food disappearing, so the skunk takes a nap under the shade

Concern yourself when you see a skunk.

Art gave you good advice for when the time comes...

Reply to
Oren

I have not seen any racoons, but anything is possible. How did you remedy that problem?

Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Kate

I understand where you are coming from.

My little dog is only five pounds, and it would just take one time and the skunk could drag her off. That is what I have heard anyway.

I would be heartbroken if that happened, knowing that I could have done something about it.

Thanks.

Reply to
Kate

I had some homeless guy living under my deck. Had to call the cops.

Reply to
wolfagain

I once had a Weimaraner that retrieved bricks and small motor vehicles. He considered anything stinky to be perfume, I think he would have made friends with a skunk and requested a spray.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I've got cats as well as dogs, nobody's ever got dragged away by anything. Falling back on my experience living in the city I know that pets are far more likely to be harmed by your neighbors than any of the wildlife around here whether it be by attack or disease.

I walk with my dogs for at least an hour and a half every day. Our last walk of the day is usually around midnight. I've been less than a stones throw from every critter in the area. Wolves, and bears included. I feel safer with them than I would with some of the screwballs that frequent this newsgroup. You can bet there's a few like them within a stones throw of your house. If there was any harm done around your place by a skunk I'll lay odds it would be done by the two legged variety.

Give your four legged visitors a little respect, they'll return it.

LdB

Reply to
LdB

That must have been one dumb ass Weimaraner. Wait 'till that bitch makes puppies.

No wait.

Reply to
Oren

Forget the skunk! Watch out for Eagles, large - really huge owls.

Skunks don't "drag" dogs off.

I have seen a skunk in Pennsylvania, est. 16 lbs. He could stand flat footed an kiss a turkey in the last part over the fence.

Reply to
Oren

Last time I saw him was 31 years ago and I wish I had a descendant of my dog. I raised him from a pup and he was a great dog. You can call my mother names but don't dis my dog. In fact, if someone calls me SOB, I ask, "How do you know my mother, where did you meat her?"

*snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Back in the 70's my Weimaraner, Gretchen "hooked" up with my Blue Tic / Walker hound, Blu. They made chocolate puppies.

Reply to
Oren