Garden Shed

Page 1 of 2

I have a decent-sized shed on my property, and am concerned about skunks living underneath it.
It is sitting on top of cinder blocks, and some long pieces of wood. I am not sure just what type of wood, etc., as I can't see much underneath it.
It is best to just leave it open (opening is small enough that my 5 lb. Yorkie can't get underneath it), or enclose it with more cinder blocks.
I am not too worried about termites as the shed is sitting on top of gravel.
I have been searching the internet and am still not sure what to do.
Suggestions please.
Thanks.
Kate
Kate wrote:

Is your Yorkie a standard or an attack Yorkie? You can tell the later by the six inch fangs.
TDD

Put screen around the bottom
On 4/17/2010 7:22 AM, ransley wrote:

Animal Control to use the 1/2" hardware cloth screening. They told me to attach it to the structure, mine was a concrete stoop where the skunk were digging under the stoop. Then, and most importantly, the hardware cloth should go vertically down underground about 1/2 foot and then 90 degrees out for at lease a foot or 2. I did this. I didn't want to drill and screw the hardware cloth into the concrete, so I just made a 90 degree piece, 6" vertical and about a foot horizontal. The soil held it nicely in place. The next day, the skunk dug in about 4 different places and when encountering the hardware cloth, moved on. Solved the problem; that was probably 15 years ago.
Art Todesco wrote the following:

Exactly what I did to keep the chipmunks from digging under my 4 Seasons Sunroom.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 4/17/2010 5:17 AM, Art Todesco wrote:

they have it.
Many thanks!
ransley wrote:

But make sure it is vacant at the time, and also put metal fabric down far enough so they won't just dig under it to get back in.
--
aem sends...

Something to think about....if you have racoons in the area, they could bite and claw their way thru the siding. That's what they did to my shed. They also tried it on the house, but the house shingles are stronger. But they did manage to do a bit of damage to the surface.
On 4/17/2010 12:02 PM, Marina wrote:

How did you remedy that problem?
Thanks for the tip.

We blocked it going up the side of the shed with screening. Then it's folded near the ground and extends away from the shed for a few feet. My husband built a fake foundation with cement blocks. It's been that way for years and it tricks animals who think they can't get in there. Because it's not right next to the shed, but out away from it. I guess they can't get close enough to know there is someplace for digging under. There is screening and framing to the top of the blocks. They are part way in the ground. What happened is a electric company guy stepped on the screening when it was covered in snow. We didn't know it and the raccoons began to try and break into the shed.

I had some homeless guy living under my deck. Had to call the cops.
On 4/17/2010 5:04 AM, Kate wrote:

On the other hand if you leave them alone they'll leave you alone. I've had skunks living under my shed for years. They mind their own business and for all it's worth make better neighbors than some of the people in the area.
Yorkie will eventually figure it out, both my dogs have been sprayed a couple of times. They leave the skunks alone now.
I live in an area with lot's of wildlife. I'm as likely to find a bear or a deer in my yard as a skunk.
The critters were here before me and will still be here when I'm gone. I made a deal with Mother Nature before I started building. I'll only take what I need and leave the rest for her. She rewards me constantly.
Sorry to say this but you people living in manicured HOA ghettos, knee deep in every poison available don't have a clue.
LdB

Don't skunks transmit rabies and other diseases? They used to do a good job tearing up my yard before I was forced to use grub control poison. Not something I prefer living near me and I'm sure that's the way most feel.
On 4/17/2010 12:14 PM, LdB wrote:

My little dog is only five pounds, and it would just take one time and the skunk could drag her off. That is what I have heard anyway.
I would be heartbroken if that happened, knowing that I could have done something about it.
Thanks.
Kate wrote:

I once had a Weimaraner that retrieved bricks and small motor vehicles. He considered anything stinky to be perfume, I think he would have made friends with a skunk and requested a spray.
TDD
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 19:40:23 -0500, The Daring Dufas

That must have been one dumb ass Weimaraner. Wait 'till that bitch makes puppies.
No wait.
Oren wrote:

Last time I saw him was 31 years ago and I wish I had a descendant of my dog. I raised him from a pup and he was a great dog. You can call my mother names but don't dis my dog. In fact, if someone calls me SOB, I ask, "How do you know my mother, where did you meat her?" *snicker*
TDD
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 20:52:47 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Back in the 70's my Weimaraner, Gretchen "hooked" up with my Blue Tic / Walker hound, Blu. They made chocolate puppies.
Oren wrote:

Some of those New Orleans dogs, they could be mayor. *snicker* I'll bet those were some bonkers puppies.
TDD
On 4/17/2010 6:35 PM, Kate wrote:

I've got cats as well as dogs, nobody's ever got dragged away by anything. Falling back on my experience living in the city I know that pets are far more likely to be harmed by your neighbors than any of the wildlife around here whether it be by attack or disease.
I walk with my dogs for at least an hour and a half every day. Our last walk of the day is usually around midnight. I've been less than a stones throw from every critter in the area. Wolves, and bears included. I feel safer with them than I would with some of the screwballs that frequent this newsgroup. You can bet there's a few like them within a stones throw of your house. If there was any harm done around your place by a skunk I'll lay odds it would be done by the two legged variety.
Give your four legged visitors a little respect, they'll return it.
LdB