garbage disposal not working

My In-sinkerator was working, then it suddenly stopped. When I turn it on now, I hear a "hum" -- as if it is in fact turned on, but no grinding or anything. I've read some tips, put a plunger handle in there with the power off. It doesn't "seem" like it is clogged, although I know that may not be the case. The "hum" when I turn it on almost makes me believe that it turns on, but maybe the motor is dead? It is about 12 years old.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
On Oct 30, 9:09 am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: Sorry for the mistaken double post. Cache issue.
Thanks for everybody's responses. I'll give it a try today!