Garbage disposal drainage question/problem

    Hello to all -
    I just got a new kitchen counter & sink installed. The sink is an undermount, 9 in deep model. The problem (maybe) is that this makes the garbage disposal several inches lower than it was before. It no longer lines up with the piping out of the house. I'll need to redo at least part of it to make them meet, but my concern is this: Is the fact that the pipe out of the disposal and the pipe out through the wall are at the same height or the disposal pipe is even a bit lower going to be a problem?     Lowering the pipe out of the house would be a major task, I'm thinking.     Raising the disposal... I can't think of a way to do that.     Suggestions? Do I even need to worry about this?     Thanks for any help!
    CB
C. Ballou wrote:

Yes, it can be a problem. Although you may get the disposal to work, it means that it will be "flooded" internally all the time. That may create nasty odors or may even deteriorate the housing/mech.
Not all disposals discharge at the same level (though there is some standardization). You might compare models at a store. In the end, it may come down to re-piping the drain.
Jim

Agree with Jim. I think the disposal outlet has to be higher than the drain pipe in the wall. I had a bit of a time getting everything right too, when I changed to a very deep sink last year. But I love the deep sink!
Go to the various disposal manf. websites. You'll find manuals with diagrams that show the various alignement limits of disposal outlet, vs drain pipe, trap, etc.
Guys... That's the wrong answer! ;-) Thanks for the input, and it is what I thought. Now - options. Jim mentioned re-piping the drain. Are there differences in disposals that may take care of the problem? And ideally, how much difference between the two heights of tubing should I have at a minimum? Again, thanks for the help!
CB
On Sun, 05 Aug 2007 08:56:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Yes, there are some slight differences in the various disposals. Which is why I suggested you go to the manf websites, where they have diagrams that show the mounting pipe geometry limits. The main thing going here is if the disposal is too low relative to the wall pipe, then you wind up with standing water in the disposal.