Garbage disposal

My disposal is not jammed. It spins freely. Yet the motor sounds as if there is a jamb.
Never encountered anything like this before.
Ideas? Time for a new one?
3rd eye wrote:

not letting it work.... if not then get a new one...

May be the type of noise we've heard before that turned out to be due to some small stuff causing one of the hammer pivots to stick. Sets up a vibration. Poked it off with a knife. Also found that grinding a few small chicken bones would clean it out.

Yes

If the motors bearings (which are part of the disposal's housing) are worn, they may allow the motor's rotor too close to the surrounding stator causing it to just lock up when energized. In that case, repair is unlikely to be cost effective unless it is a very big (ie. top of the line) model.
BTW. When you say "It spins freely" you are referring to the whole grinding plate inside the top of the unit and not just the little grinding "knuckles" which are attached to that plate? It's that plate rotating which is necessary (as it is attacked to the motor shaft), not just those grinding knuckles being free (which is important for proper grinding).
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=garbase+disposers
=~~~~~~