Garage light activation using sensor

I have a Genie-Pro CM 6800, garage door opener. I would like however, to alter it to have the garage lights come on when the safety sensors are tripped. I would hope to accomplish this without replacing the system. Is there a simple and inexpensive solution?
Thanks
Frank
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 13:15:10 -0700, russell.frank1 wrote:

Shouldn't it have that feature? I know even the cheapy Craftsmans have it.

I has the feature when you initially open and close. After a few minutes when left open the light goes out. I would like to have it come on when the sensor is tripped. This is helpful for me in the evening and when working outside. My previous home I installed a chamberlain which had this feature as well.
Thanks
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:03:59 -0700, russell.frank1 wrote:

The cheapy Craftsman I installed works whenever the door is open as any opener should. Maybe read the manual over and see if there is an additional setting? If not then there really is no practical way it can be modified to work they way you want but still, it's hard to believe it came that way. One thing you can try is to call Geni and ask them about this.
easiest to install a seperate light beam sensor and lamp.
door opening would likely trip it and anyone walking thru sensor would too.
cheaper than a new opener or modifying it.
on 9/29/2007 4:40 PM Meat Plow said the following:

safety beam when the door has been standing open, like at night.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 18:47:09 -0400, willshak wrote:

That's what my cheapy Craftsman does. As soon as someone walks through the sensor the light comes on and will do that for however long the door is open (shuts off after a few minutes). Seems like a no brain'r from the engineering department at geni to include that in any opener they sell or for that matter any manufacturer.

want.

How about just a motion-sensing switch to replace the regular switch for these lights? That's what I have.

Thanks All,
Sorry for the delayed response. I think the motion detector on the garage lights will serve my purpose, Yes you would think that having this feature on the cheapest door opener would be a standard. I guess they needed to save 50 cents.
Thanks again and a great site too!