Garage Floor Repair

The garage floor in my home is pitted and has undulations in the finish. The inspector thought that the original slab might have been pitted or damaged by the rain and they attempted to lay a thin layer over it to "fix" the problem -- and now that layer has come off in places. There does not seem to be any new pieces coming off.

What (if any) would be a good product to even the floor with? I would like to smooth it to the point I could successfully apply a floor sealer that you come across in automotive shops - the one that achieves that grey, smooth appearance.

I would also be interested in tips, best practices, etc. as they relate to the project as a whole.

Thanks in advance!

Ian

Reply to
iantjones

Ian, The floor sealer you may be refering to is U-Coat-It?? Its advertised on the Speed Channel but it is basically an epoxy based paint you apply to a CLEAN concrete floor, no oil or silcone based tire cleaners etc can be on the floor. I spent 2 weeks just cleaning my garage floor.

I did my garage last year. I got the grey gloss paint with a blue-black and white fleck. Its really nice. I dont regret doing it at all.

As for leveling the floor or the pitting, they make a epoxy product that you can use to fill in cracks and pits. If your needing to re-level the floor, this product may not be good to use since it comes in gallon cans and is somewhat expensive for a large leveling job.

I also think there is a concrete leveling machine that you can rent. This also takes off the layers of oil or armour all that will interfer with the paint adhering.This may be a better option for your floor?

Reply to
John H.

On 1 Jun 2006 19:41:46 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrotF:

If you have only a one-stall garage, it may be worth while just jack-hammering it up and pouring a new floor to your own specs, like extra thick and higher tensile strength than what's usually laid. That way you could also make the surface extra-smooth.

You say "inspector" as in real estate company inspectror? If this is a new home you just bough wouldn't there be a warranty?

Reply to
46erjoe