Garage Door-Retrofit Kit

Does anyone have any experience installing a kit to strengthen the garage doors in case of hurricanes? I have not been to Home Depot or Lowe's but assume they are available there. Would appreciate hearing from someone who has actually installed one. Does anyone know average price? Thanks.

Reply to
Dorot29701

I checked Home Depot and Lowes here in SE Fla. They didn't have anything I could use. So I found a local garage door company and they had all the stuff I needed. Extra brackets for the rails= $1 each. 16 ft. struts at about $30 each. They had other stuff that I didn't need. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Chuck B.

Thanks. Was it hard to install?

Reply to
Dorot29701

You will need an electric drill, a few bits, wrenchs, etc. Not very difficult at all. Install the addl. brackets just like the ones already on your door. I added 4 more on each side. I am adding 2 addl. struts (16' long). They already have holes drilled at the appropiate places. Either bolt them to the hinges or screw them directly to the door. Your only problem might be the additional weight added to the door. You may have to get someone to adjust the springs so the door will be balanced. If it's too heavy you could burn out the door opener. I may not install the struts until I see a storm coming and leave the door down until the storm passes. Good luck!

Reply to
Chuck B.