Garage Door opener on the fritz...

Hey folks,

I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP GDO that is about 5 years old. Recently, it has started acting up on me.

I will not open or close on one keypress. It would go a few feet and then simply stop. I would try again, it would go some more feet and then stop again.

Other times, it would open almost all the way and then simply stop. The same thing happens on the way down.

I took it apart and can see that the gears are all fine and it stops before the carriage makes contact with the upper limit switch.

I tested adjusting the tourque to their max, but that doesn't help. I also know its not the door itself causing the problem as the problem repros with the emergency cable pulled.

The GDO is not flashing any fault codes either.

I'm suspecting the capacitor, rpm sensor, or the circuit board itself.

The photocells are fine and the wallmount button is fine too.

If I unplug the opener and let it sit for 10-15 minutes, it will work fine for 5 or 6 opens, then it will start doing the same thing again. Sometimes, it simply won't work the first time, and then will work fine for 5 or 6 opens or closes and then stop again.

Thoughts?

Felix

Reply to
Felix

When it stops is the motor humming? Perhaps the motor is getting old. have you had your tracks adjusted/oiled and re-torsioned or whatever its called?

Did this start with the change of outdoor temperature?

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Does the door work easily when disconnected from the opener? Not sticking? Evenly balanced? Open door with opener then use release then move by hand.

LB

Reply to
LB