garage door opener makes grinding noise

my garage door opener makes grinding noise when it reaches full open.

it is 10 years old.

worth trying to fix ?

Reply to
mri1397

If it's made by Chamberlain (Craftsman) the plastic gears are shot...you can get them on ebay, and it's an easy fix.

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Hi, State make and model. Chain drive? Belt dirve? Screw drive?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

For what it's worth, my older-than-10-YO GDO recently started making a screeching sound a few inches before fully open. It sounded like a metal on metal screech. I opened the case and performed the following maintenance:

- Oiled all metal to metal points, like the motor shaft, the bearing at the top of the opener, etc.

- Applied bulk lithium grease to all the nylon gears

- Cleaned the dirt and gunk from the top of the track with brake cleaner

- Lubed the top of the track with spray lithium grease

- Lubed the door rollers with spray lithium grease

- Lubed the torsion spring with spray lithium grease

The screeching stopped and the door runs much smoother and quieter.

Reply to
DerbyDad03