For what it's worth, my older-than-10-YO GDO recently started making a
screeching sound a few inches before fully open. It sounded like a metal on
metal screech. I opened the case and performed the following maintenance:
- Oiled all metal to metal points, like the motor shaft, the bearing at the
top of the opener, etc.
- Applied bulk lithium grease to all the nylon gears
- Cleaned the dirt and gunk from the top of the track with brake cleaner
- Lubed the top of the track with spray lithium grease
- Lubed the door rollers with spray lithium grease
- Lubed the torsion spring with spray lithium grease
The screeching stopped and the door runs much smoother and quieter.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.