Garage Door Opener Header Bracket

Hello,
I am attempting to install a garage door opener in a new garage. The instruction manual states that the header bracket must be installed with 2" clearance from the max height of the garage door.
When i measure the header for the 2" distance it ends up being exactly even with the top edge of the garage door header. This is the point where the drywall starts.
I have pictures from when the garage was being built that show there is a 2x4 running right on top of the header and then a stud directly above in the center of the door opening.
I was wondering if i need to cut the drywall away to mount directly to the supports or if i can screw through the dry wall into the supports. Also, if i should cut a longer section of drywall out, and run a 2x4 across a couple studs at the top of the header.
Thanks for any help!
Pat
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The install instructions that I have seen say the header should be fastened directly to studs, not over existing drywall. When I did mine, I cut out the drywall and ran the header across 2 or three studs.
You might get away with going over the drywall, but for the small additonal work, I'd do it the right way. Interesting question, what have pro installers done for those that used them?
Ok, I figured that was the way to go. I plan on adding a 2x4 across three studs, what size screws should be used to attach to the existing supports?
Thnaks again!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

16-penny nails will work just fine.
--
Regards,

5/16 lag srews are commonly used for residential openers, you must determine the length based on your application but typically 2-1/2" long will suffice.
Rich ===================================Garage Door Parts, LLC 973-472-4818 http://www.garagedoorsupply.com ===================================
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Yep.
Not a good idea. Vibrations from normal use of the opener will eventually (maybe quickly) cause the drywall to crumble, and loosen the bracket.

That's best IMHO.
--
Regards,
The 2" you refer to is not the max height of the door but rather the max travel height of the door. The top section will travel in an arc as the door goes up, you must note the top most part of the arc and use a pair of locking pliers to secure the door at that point. Now use a level to mark the header even with the top of this arc. That is where you measure your 2" from. Mount the bracket at the centerline at the manufacturer's suggested minimum height.
Rich ===================================Garage Door Parts, LLC 973-472-4818 http://www.garagedoorsupply.com ===================================

Rich wrote:

Come on now Rich, what are you saying about not using nails? Don't you know Doug Miller has already spoken and said nails are the proper way to do it? And we all know Doug knows everything and his word is final The fact that you are in the business and disagree is irrelevant LOL!

You're obviously still upset over discovering that I was right about grass growing under maple trees.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

No, I just think you believe you're God's gift to this newsgroup and a know it all who, per the above, obviously doesn't.
g goda know it all, who obviously, per the above, doesn't

Think what you like. It doesn't change the facts -- one of which is that grass does grow under maple trees, your ridiculous assertions to the contrary notwithstanding. Anyone with the ability to recognize a maple tree can see this for himself; that category apparently does not include yourself. You're obviously still smarting over having your ignorance pointed out publicly. Try to get over it -- it's not healthy to carry that much resentment around.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Look, moron, I gave you the last word on this in the other thread. And now you are trying to start it up all over again here. Don't you think people here have heard enough from you on this subject?
It's quite clear that whenever someone offers different advice, whether it's garage doors or lawn problems, it's never good enough for you. You think you are the single source for valid input in the newgroup. Get over it.
As for the garage doors, I'm with Rich, because, unlike you, I think he knows what he's talking about.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hmmm, Looks like that garage was built without considering the opener installation. Mine had a 2X10 piece vertically placed in the middle to accomodate the bracket. Definitely remove the drywall which will crumble off in no time. Running 2x4 above header is also good idea, IMO.