garage door lubrication

What is the best type of lubricant to use on a metal garage door? I'm referring to the rollers and other moving parts, and possibly the rollup spring.
If I'm not mistaken, you should not lubricate the roller tracks.
Should I use WD40? I also have some silicone lubricant in a spray can that I could use.
Thanks.
newman wrote:

Hi, WD40 is not a lubricant, it is a solvent cleaner. Springs I soak with just ordinary car engine oil. Soak a rag and rub them on when they are dry. I was told this will make springs last longer. Tracks I don't do anything. Screw drive I have, I use lubriplate very sparingly from now and then to keep it quiet.
on 9/21/2007 9:45 AM newman said the following:

I use vasoline petroleum jelly.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Ya, but we're talking about garage doors here.
:'P
on 9/21/2007 10:46 AM Noozer said the following:

I ran out of K-Y.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I hear it slides in easier that way, right ?
newman wrote:

The people who make PB Blaster make a nice product called GDL (Garage Door Lube).

Right.
--
If you really believe carbon dioxide causes global warming,
you should stop exhaling.

WD-40 is not a lube. Use motor oil and squirt some across the top of the springs once a year.
I had to have a part replaced on my garage door opener about 2 years ago and asked the tech from Dalton what to use and he said silicone spray. I've been using the Permatex brand ever since and my door is quieter than when the house was brand new. I do this once ever 3 months on his recommendation.
Mike Watch for the bounce. If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it. If ya see it, it didn't go off. Old Air Force Munitions Saying

What parts do you lube? Rollers? Tracks? Hinges?
Jean

NOT a lubricant

Thats the one
I'd try white lithium grease in a spray can. That, or there is spray lube made for chains and cables.
--
.
Christopher A. Young