garage door lift cable loosens as door reaches fully open height

One of my garage door tension springs broke and I replaced both springs with a set that had previously been used in a friend's garage for only 5 years. We installed, them, wound them so that the door was balanced, but then when raising the door by hand to check it's operation manually, one of the lift cables loosens as the door reaches the full open height. However the other lift cable remains tight and working properly? We've tried adjusting the tension in the spring on that side of the door to no avail? Can you tell me what might be causing this lift cable to loosen as the door reaches full open height so we can fix it? I will call a professional at last resort, but we've handled everything other than this lift cable staying tight issue so far and would like to finish the job? Thanks, Jeff
------------------------------------- St Louis Cardinals are the best
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 365228 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 22, 11:51 am, jheuer_at_iowabankers_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (Jeff Heuer) wrote:

There are two types of door spring systems. It would help if you mentioned which type you have.
I have to assume that you have the type with the two springs on a bar directly above the door opening.
The cables are not winding on the spools evenly. They should wrap a single layer of cable on each spool. If you look, you will probably notice that one spool has the cable wrapping on itself. This causes the effective diameter of that spool to be larger, and to wind up cable faster.
Add pictures here
✖

You may well be correct about that, even though the OP did say "tension springs", not "torsion springs".....
But he also said "wound them"...
If they are tension springs then one of them may have "softened" or stretched more than the other. Or, the friend's garage door may have had a different weight than his and used different strength springs.
The first time I replaced the pair of tension springs on one of my garage doors I used a bathroom scale with a simple wooden lever to measure the weight of the door sans spring assist to determine what strength springs to buy. (Some springs are color coded re strength but my old ones weren't.)
I won't bet either way, though if they are in fact torsion springs the OP might want to spend a evening or two reading Richard Kinch's epic monolog about the subject:
http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
jeff_wisnia wrote:

All of the torsion spring doors I have worked on used a solid shaft that mount the springs and take-up pulleys. The pulleys turn in unison and throwing slack at one end means unequal effective diameters ... unless the OP has encountered a local variation in the value of pi.
Add pictures here
✖
Bryce wrote:

Or maybe somebody replaced one of the cables with one which wasn't quite the same diameter as the other.
The thinner cable would get slack even if it wound in a single layer on the pully. <G>
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Omigosh, I'll have to keep track of that! Good catch! What's the most accurate way to measure pi anyway? My protractors always give me somewhere between 2.5 and 4.5 on my half-inch diameter circles! The stupid center keeps moving around!
Add pictures here
✖
Twayne wrote:

Now, now, it's not polite to make fun of people. We're not all rocket surgeons here.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖