Matching surface texture of sanded grout

I need to repair some tiles in our bathroom. I did a reasonable job of matching the color using Mapei Ultracolor sanded grout.

However, the surface texture of the old (sanded) grout is more like 60 grit sandpaper (like popcorn texture in miniature) while the surface of my new grout is more like trowelled morter.

Do I need a special type of grout or additive or finishing/tooling technique to get the grout to have a similar texturing?

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

While I have found that Mapei sanded grout seems to use a very fine grade of sand in it, it is also possible that water, cleaning compounds, etc. have etched the cement portion of the grout over the years, revealing the sand granules to stand proud of the surface, giving the "60 grit" texture. The only thing that comes to mind would be to re-grout over the old grout with non-sanded or possibly the new sanded grout, however, this is subject to testing in a hidden location, and may fail to stay bonded to the old grout surface.

Reply to
EXT

Makes sense - in fact, for most uses, companies seem to advertise the fineness of their sand - though for obvious reasons that is not the benefit I am looking for in my particular case.

Interesting thought but I don't think so since the texture is uniform

60 grit even in areas that don't get worn.

Hmmm, the joints are pretty full so I think I would need to remove grout from the whole area which truly would be a pita. I think I need to identify a company that makes a "sandier" (i.e coarser texture) grout in a matching color.

I have not however been able to find a company that advertises such "textured" grout.

Reply to
blueman